Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Nigeria loses $226.7bn to Ogoni oil shutdown since 1993 – Report

Mohammed Koi by Mohammed Koi
April 18, 2026
in Business
0
FG set to commission new crude oil export terminal in 50 years
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Nigeria has lost an estimated $226.734 billion following the suspension of crude oil production in Ogoni land since 1993, the Pipeline Infrastructure Nigeria Limited (PINL) has said.

The firm, which oversees the maintenance of the Trans Niger Pipeline, described the resumption of oil production in the area as a national priority, with the potential to generate over 500,000 barrels per day from Oil Mining Lease 11.

The General-Manager, Community and Government Relations, PINL, Dr. Akpos Mezeh, disclosed this during the company’s monthly stakeholders’ meeting in Port Harcourt on Wednesday.

He noted that OML-11, which comprises about 96 oil wells, has remained inactive for over three decades, resulting in significant revenue losses for the country.

“Available data shows that over $226.734 billion has been lost due to the suspension of crude oil production from 96 oil wells in Ogoni land over the past 32 years,” Mezeh said.

He stressed that restarting operations in the area would not only boost national revenue but also support ongoing efforts by President Bola Tinubu to increase crude oil production and curb economic sabotage in the Niger Delta.

Mezeh added that the company recorded zero infractions on the Trans Niger Pipeline in the last one month, attributing the development to improved stakeholder engagement and community sensitisation.

He, however, emphasised that any move to resume oil production must prioritise inclusive community participation and environmental sustainability.

“The Ogoni people must be fully involved as critical stakeholders in all decisions,” he said, noting that continued clean-up and restoration efforts would be key to rebuilding trust.

He also highlighted ongoing community interventions by the company, including scholarship schemes, women’s empowerment, medical outreach, and skills acquisition programmes.

According to him, Nigeria’s oil production has risen to about 1.84 million barrels per day, with a target of two million barrels per day in line with government objectives.

The event also featured the award of scholarships to 216 students across host communities in Rivers, Bayelsa, Imo, and Abia states.

Crude oil production in Ogoni land was halted in the early 1990s following widespread protests over environmental degradation, oil spills, and demands for greater resource control by local communities.

The agitation, led by groups such as the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People, brought global attention to environmental issues in the Niger Delta and led to the shutdown of oil operations in the area.

Since then, successive governments have made efforts to address the environmental damage, including the launch of the Ogoni clean-up programme recommended by the United Nations Environment Programme.

However, calls for the resumption of oil production have remained sensitive, with stakeholders insisting on environmental remediation, community inclusion, and sustainable development as key conditions for any restart. (DAN)

Previous Post

2027:  You should be scared of suffering Nigerians, ADC replies Tinubu

Next Post

FG predicts flooding in Benue, Plateau, Lagos, Adamawa, 28 other states

Next Post
National Emergencies: NCC, NEMA partner on early warning systems

FG predicts flooding in Benue, Plateau, Lagos, Adamawa, 28 other states

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Nigerians must take stance, determine where country is headed democratically – Obi
Cover

2027: Obi unveils prpduction-focused economic, security agenda

by Maurice Okosisi
August 22, 2026
0

*Urges Nigerians to reject ethnic, religious politics The presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Obi, has unveiled...

Read moreDetails
Obi writes to Nigerian youths as European League kicks off

Obi writes to Nigerian youths as European League kicks off

August 22, 2026
Power: FG seeks collaboration with EU

Geregu Power: Yari moves to settle outstanding bond obligation

August 22, 2026
2027: INEC targets 100m registered voters

2027: INEC seeks Canada’s support on electoral technology, AI, inclusivity

August 22, 2026
Obi’s litigious reflexes vs Adeyanju’s burden of truth

Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu

August 22, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng