Saturday, August 22, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Probe missing N210trn NNPC money now – FT insists

Chidiebere Nwobodo by Chidiebere Nwobodo
June 24, 2025
in Business
0
Petrol prices deep as NNPC, depot operators undercut Dangote
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The financial transparency of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited is under public scrutiny over missing N210 trillion in its 2017-2023 audited financial statements.

On Wednesday last week, at a session of the Senate Committee on Public Accounts chaired by Aliyu Wadada, the Nigerian public was blown open to the missing N210 trillion on NNPCL’s audited statement.

Wadada did not mince words when he and his committee issued a one-week ultimatum to NNPCL to account for the missing N210 billion.

The Committee, chaired by Wadada, vowed last week to pursue the matter to the full extent of its oversight powers.

As a justification, DAILY POST reports that the Chief Financial Officer of the state-owned oil firm, Adedapo Segun, said the missing $210 trillion are cash calls requested by joint venture (JV) partners and settlement to the JVs.

However, concerns have been raised that the investigation of the N210 trillion missing funds would vanish into thin air like other probes in the past.

In June last year, the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project filed a suit over N500 billion unremitted to the Federation Account between October 2024 and December 2024. Other missing funds in the last five years have also not seen the light of day.

Reacting, Transparency International Nigeria’s Country Director, Auwal Rafsanjani demanded for punishment for those involved in the disappearance of the N210 missing funds from NNPCL.

According to him, the Nigerian Senate and the government had in the past shown lukewarm interest in prosecuting those involved in the huge missing funds in NNPCL.

He blamed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and other presidents who have seized positions as substantive minister of petroleum, which has made the institution unaccountable and a conduit pipe for corruption since 1999.

He alleged that Tinubu, former President Muhammadu Buhari, and Obasanjo have used NNPCL as their cash cow.

“This is something that has been going on in NNPCL without any repercussions. No serious deterrence has been taken on the several missing funds and unremitted funds in NNPCL.

“This has been happening since 1999. NNPCL has become a major cash cow, or like an ATM, for so many government officials without accounting for it. This huge amount of money reflects the rot in NNPCL without direct impact on Nigerians.

“There is so much waste in the organisation. However, because all the presidents in Nigeria, including Tinubu, are using NNPCL for their selfish reasons, there is minimum transparency. The revenue for NNPCL is not accounted for the way it should be.

“It is worrisome and sad that this thing is happening without anything to stop it because of its beneficiaries. Virtually all the presidents except Jonathan made themselves Minister of Petroleum. It is a collective failure in Nigeria over the years.

“If we have a country governed by a system, we should be able to deal with those involved in the missing N210 trillion fund in NNPCL.

“I suggest that once there is clarity on the missing funds, those involved should be made to account,” he told DAILY POST exclusively.

Similarly, a popular energy expert, managing partner of BBH Consulting, and convener of the Public Interest Advocacy Network (PIAN), Barr. Ameh Madaki feared that the N210 trillion scandal would eventually fade without deterrence.

According to him, the manner in which government authorities handle cases of missing funds in NNPCL had led to a loss of confidence in the country.

“The opaque manner in which the Nigerian oil and gas industry has been operated for years has been a matter of sustained concern to most industry experts.

“And the fact that all these are always swept under the carpet after the next scandal breaks has been the way things have been for decades.

“It is clear that the current scandal around NNPCL finances will once again fade into the stratosphere, like all the others.

“It is, therefore, difficult to make any informed judgement about the outcome of the current scandal.

Previous Post

Israel agrees ceasefire after ‘eliminating Iran’s nuclear and missile threat’

Next Post

Over 400,000 Enugu residents hooked in drug abuse – NDLEA 

Next Post
Over 400,000 Enugu residents hooked in drug abuse – NDLEA 

Over 400,000 Enugu residents hooked in drug abuse - NDLEA 

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
SGF condemns Benue killings, calls for collective action against insecurity
Cover

Tinubu orders Nwabueze’s arrest, suspension of 3 Perm Secs as another fake agency is detected in SGF office

by Eze Chidozie
August 21, 2026
0

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of Prince George Buchi Nwabueze in connection with the discovery of National...

Read moreDetails
US, Israel-Iran War: Tehran’s Archbishop evacuated to Rome

On the Relics of St Agatha

August 21, 2026
Chevron reiterates commitment to Yoyo-Yolanda Project as Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon sign agreement

CNL highlights regulatory imperatives at PENGASSAN Summit 

August 21, 2026
FCT doctors embark on three-day warning strike

Nigeria records 45,000 new HIV infections in 2025 — NACA

August 21, 2026
Anyaoku warns against delayed new constitution to manage Nigeria’s diversity

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

August 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng