Saturday, August 22, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Health

Why UNTH doctors embarked on strike

Ada Okafor by Ada Okafor
May 4, 2023
in Health
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Association of Resident Doctors in the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital (UNTH), Ituku-Ozalla, Enugu State, on Wednesday, declared a one-week warning strike.

The strike was announced in a communique issued at the end of an Emergency General Meeting (EGM) of the Congress, signed by Dr Chinazom Ekwueme and Dr Santos Ezeh, the President and the Secretary of the association respectively.

The doctors regretted that several ultimatums had been extended to the management in the past but no positive action was taken.

It said there had been “growing agitation of our members on the Government Integrated Financial Management System (GIFMIS) Platform (locum doctors). At that EGM, our demands for payment of January salary, hazard allowance arrears and migration to IPPIS for these our members were made and the initial ultimatum for strike action was pegged at 21st of February, 2023.”

“The Congress noted that amidst the non-resolution of our demands, the working environment has become poor,” it said.

They identified other issues including “non-functional Intensive Care Unit (ICU) with certain departments unable to do procedures because of this. Hence, affecting quality patient care and our residency training.

“Inconsistent and epileptic supply of call food with no call food for several weeks in the past four months with no plan for sustainable supply of call food such that our members can do 24 hours call and even above on an empty stomach

“Leaking and dilapidated call rooms such that some residents on call sleep in their cars while on call.

“Staff burnout with some residents being on call every other day despite the above conditions.

“Epileptic power and water supply with several blackouts in the past months. This also impacts on our ability as doctors to provide quality healthcare and also affects the patients who need these amenities.

“The Congress observed with dismay the casualization of our members who have been on locum status for over two years which has denied them of several benefits.

“The Congress noted that these our members are yet to be migrated to the IPPIS platform. They have not received January salary, nine and half months hazard allowance arrears as well as Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF) despite being in residents who also partake fully in update courses and examinations.”

While demanding the resolution of the above issues, the ARD said members shall “proceed on a one-week warning strike commencing from 8.00 am, Wednesday, 3rd May 2023 with the only provision of skeletal services at the Accident and Emergency unit of the hospital”.

Members will “reconvene by 8.00 am, Wednesday, 10th May 2023 with an EGM where a review of progress made as regards our demands will be done and resolve for fresh action taken.”

Previous Post

Senate approves Buhari’s N22.7trn Ways and Means advances request 

Next Post

Halt planned tuition fees increase or we’ll shut down Nigeria, NANS warn FG, state govts

Next Post

Halt planned tuition fees increase or we’ll shut down Nigeria, NANS warn FG, state govts

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
SGF condemns Benue killings, calls for collective action against insecurity
Cover

Tinubu orders Nwabueze’s arrest, suspension of 3 Perm Secs as another fake agency is detected in SGF office

by Eze Chidozie
August 21, 2026
0

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of Prince George Buchi Nwabueze in connection with the discovery of National...

Read moreDetails
US, Israel-Iran War: Tehran’s Archbishop evacuated to Rome

On the Relics of St Agatha

August 21, 2026
Chevron reiterates commitment to Yoyo-Yolanda Project as Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon sign agreement

CNL highlights regulatory imperatives at PENGASSAN Summit 

August 21, 2026
FCT doctors embark on three-day warning strike

Nigeria records 45,000 new HIV infections in 2025 — NACA

August 21, 2026
Anyaoku warns against delayed new constitution to manage Nigeria’s diversity

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

August 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng