Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Environment

Court fines Rufai Oseni ₦70,000 for driving on BRT lane

Our Reporters by Our Reporters
August 3, 2022
in Environment, News
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Mr Rufai Oseni, Arise TV Journalist, was in court yesterday, and was found guilty of contravening Lagos State Transport Law (2018).

He was subsequently fined Seventy Thousand Naira Only. He made the payment, after which his vehicle was released to him.

Rafai one of the anchors of The Morning Show, a breakfast programme on Arise Television, said he is humbled by the experience he got as a result of his encounter with the law in Lagos State.

The programme was suspended for about three minutes for Rufai to make the statement on open air, on Wednesday, while Tundun Abiola, his colleague was introducing the news review of the day, when she announced that before moving on, the vocal commentator, had “something to say.”

A visibly emotional Oseni, with his voice quivering, then read a statement, in which he told Nigerians that he was humbled by the entire experience and offered an unreserved apology, acknowledging that “nobody knows it all.”

There had been exchange of allegations between the journalist and the police on the one hand and the Lagos State Government on the other on what actually transpired with Rufai, saying that he did not deliberately drive on the lane, strictly meant for BRT buses, while the police said he actually admitted to the offence.

He spoke less than 24 hours after his arraignment on Tuesday  in a Lagos mobile court for the offence contravening Lagos State Transport Law of 2018, and was made to pay a fine of N70,000, after being found guilty. 

Rufai had earlier in a Twitter post on Monday, alleged that a police officer pointed a gun at him while trying to enforce a traffic infraction.

He said he offered to pay for the infraction but “the police was hell-bent on forcefully collecting my keys and pointing a gun at me.”

His tweet reads: “A Nigerian police officer pointed a gun at me and forcefully took my keys and drove my car off, because he wanted to enforce a traffic infraction.”

Rufai in another tweet replied to Akosile, saying he did not deliberately break the law. He said he would not have passed the BRT lane if other drivers had not used the lane.

“I am not a lawbreaker. I saw cars pass through the Supposed BRT lane and they were not stopped. All of a sudden I was stopped and told to use the bus lane. If I don’t see other cars I will not go through, plus I want to be conversant with the road. In fact, after I was stopped three cars also,” he tweeted.

Shortly after spokesman of the Lagos State Command, Benjamin Hundeyin, said the journalist violated traffic rules and resisted the officers, Gbenga Omotoso, Lagos State Commissioner for Information, announced that he would be prosecuted according to law.

Hundeyin said: “Rufai, let’s not do this. You admitted to me that you passed a BRT lane. It’s against the law. Your claim that google maps took you there is not tenable. You disobeyed and resisted the officers. We’ll sanction the officer who misused firearms if proven.”

Previous Post

Everyone’s obituary is inevitable

Next Post

Freed Professor of Medicine narrates experience in den of Abuja-Kaduna train kidnappers

Next Post

Freed Professor of Medicine narrates experience in den of Abuja-Kaduna train kidnappers

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Nigeria Customs Strengthens Inter-Agency Fight Against Transnational Crimes
Business

Nigeria Customs Strengthens Inter-Agency Fight Against Transnational Crimes

by Newsdesk Africa
May 23, 2026
0

By Sam Otuonye The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has emphasised the importance of stronger collaboration, intelligence sharing, and inter-agency synergy...

Read moreDetails
INEC Chairman Amupitan not corrupt, insider faults Dalung’s claims

Court annuls INEC membership register deadline

May 21, 2026
UBA champions Diaspora healthcare investment at ANPA America symposium

UBA champions Diaspora healthcare investment at ANPA America symposium

May 21, 2026
Keeping pace with CBN’s back-to-back feats

CBN retains lending rate at 26.6% – Cardoso

May 21, 2026
Atiku at ADC screening panel, promises robust security reforms

Atiku at ADC screening panel, promises robust security reforms

May 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng