Saturday, August 22, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home News

BBC to release more documentaries on Nigerian insecurity

Aminu Danladi by Aminu Danladi
August 5, 2022
in News
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

*Slams FG for fines imposed on some broadcast outfits in Nigeria

The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) is unperturbed by the f8nes imposed by Federal Government on some media houses which aired a documentary on terrorism it said was in bad taste.

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) had fined the multimedia wing of Media Trust Limited and and some satellite based redistribution media comoanies, N5 million each for airing a documentary “Nigeria’s Banditry: The Inside Story” and for permitting their channels to be used to air such documentary.

The other affected concerns are Multichoice Nigeria Limited (DSTV owners), NTA-Startimes Limited, and Telcom Satellite Limited (TSTV). They are to pay N5million each.

The NBC informed the public that all outfits violated the broadcasting code by airing documentaries on banditry and terrorism.

The authorities consider the visuals damaging, with citizens already furious about the country’s worsening insecurity further enraged.

There was no opportunity given to the affected media houses and companies to defend themselves.

However, BBC sources accused the Nigerian government of trying to coerce the media to underreport the extent of damage done in the country by non-state actors (NSAs).

“We published another one (documentary), and will do more because it’s about the people suffering”, one of such sources hinted.

“They (government) did not impose a fine on us because they knew they could not do so.

“What they can do is write to the agency that regulates us, the Office of Communications (Ofcom).

“They definitely would ask Ofcom to take disciplinary actions; they cannot do anything other than that.

“After Trust TV spoke with the victims, we interviewed the NSAs – Ado Aleru, the one turbaned, and Abu Sanni, who led the Jangebe school attack,” the source said.

The duo have been terrorizing Zamfara. In mid-July, Aleru (Alieru) was turbaned as Sarkin Fulani (King of Fulanis) of Yandoton Daji Emirate in Zamfara state.

He was installed by Aliyu Garba Marafa, the Emir of Yandoto, despite being on the police wanted list for kidnapping and killings.

The Zamfara state government has however sanctioned the Emir, but no more.

In February 2021, Sanni’s gang abducted nearly 300 students of Government Girls Secondary School in Jangebe.

In BBC’s ‘The Bandit Warlords of Zamfara’, he narrated how the Nigerian government paid millions for the release of the girls.

Sanni disclosed that they struck in retaliation for military operations after the wet period in 2020.

“When the rainy season ended, they sent the military. We decided to show the government they should not interfere in our problems. We went to Jangebe and took the students.

“We wanted to get the government angry. We demanded N300million but after negotiations, N60million was paid for their release”, he revealed.

Yusuf Anka, a journalist with the United Kingdom national broadcaster, met with the bandit leaders in their enclaves.

The NBC action announced on Wednesday followed last week’s comments by Information Minister, Lai Mohammed.

“Appropriate sanctions will be meted to both the BBC and the Trust TV. They will not get away with the naked glorification of terrorism and banditry.

“When otherwise reputable platforms like BBC can give their platform to terrorists showing their faces as if they are Nollywood stars, it is unfortunate.

“If they are not registered in Nigeria and they are only sending their signals to Nigeria, we will ask them to stop sending the signals”, he said.

Mohammed added that during the IRA (Irish Republican Army) days, “the BBC will not dare do what they are doing now in Nigeria”.

Previous Post

Nigerian Army investigates alleged killing of policeman by soldiers

Next Post

NCC restates commitment to funding research at VC’s roundtable 

Next Post

NCC restates commitment to funding research at VC's roundtable 

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
SGF condemns Benue killings, calls for collective action against insecurity
Cover

Tinubu orders Nwabueze’s arrest, suspension of 3 Perm Secs as another fake agency is detected in SGF office

by Eze Chidozie
August 21, 2026
0

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of Prince George Buchi Nwabueze in connection with the discovery of National...

Read moreDetails
US, Israel-Iran War: Tehran’s Archbishop evacuated to Rome

On the Relics of St Agatha

August 21, 2026
Chevron reiterates commitment to Yoyo-Yolanda Project as Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon sign agreement

CNL highlights regulatory imperatives at PENGASSAN Summit 

August 21, 2026
FCT doctors embark on three-day warning strike

Nigeria records 45,000 new HIV infections in 2025 — NACA

August 21, 2026
Anyaoku warns against delayed new constitution to manage Nigeria’s diversity

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

August 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng