Saturday, August 22, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Obi-Oyedepo Phone Call Saga: Media organisation suspends reporter

Our Reporters by Our Reporters
April 5, 2023
in News
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Peoples Gazette reporter, Ayoola Babalola, who first reported the story on the alleged phone conversation between Peter Obi and Bishop David Oyedepo has been suspended by the organization for alleged violations of the company’s social media policy.

The suspension followed the reporter’s harsh response to trolls following the story that supporters of Obi had alleged was doctored.

Oyedepo had also denied campaigning for any presidential candidate or politician.

Reports said that supporters of Obi had also alleged that the reporter, Ayoola Babalola, acted out of political bias.

Amid the controversies, he was alleged to have reacted with vitriol against the social media policy of the organization.

A memo from Deputy Managing Editor Boladale Adekoya, on Tuesday, directed Ayoola Babalola to proceed on a one-month suspension.

“Ayoola Babalola met with the HR, where he was directed to proceed on suspension for one month without pay,” Mr Adekoya said in the internal memo sent to all newsroom employees.

“Mr Babalola is a vibrant and respected member of the organisation’s editorial team,” the publication’s senior staff member noted, but stressed the reporter’s “conduct on social media, both from months past and as recently as last weekend, grossly violated the organisation’s guideline on personnel conduct.”

The management made the decision after carefully reviewing the reporter’s scathing retorts to relentless online trolls and concluded that Mr Babalola did not act with decorum and professionalism expected of The Gazette’s employees.

The Peoples Gazette management asserted that the suspension was a challenging decision “for the organisation: Mr Babalola faced vicious attacks on social media following our scoop on Peter Obi’s phone call with Bishop Oyedepo.”

“Still, while the organisation sympathises and stands strongly with Mr Babalola and all staff members who come frequently under social media onslaught, the manner with which colleagues handle online trolls is what distinguishes us as professionals.”

Although the controversial tweets had been taken down by Mr Babalola, screenshots of the tweets could still “impugn our professionalism, PG, well into the future. This should never have happened,” the senior editor stressed.

“The management appreciates Mr Babalola’s service and cooperation in the course of handling this situation. This informed the decision to let him proceed on a one-month suspension with counselling.”

Previous Post

Nigeria more divided today than during 1967-1970 Biafran Civil War era, laments ex-Emir Sanusi

Next Post

NCC PHOTO NEWS

Next Post

NCC PHOTO NEWS

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
SGF condemns Benue killings, calls for collective action against insecurity
Cover

Tinubu orders Nwabueze’s arrest, suspension of 3 Perm Secs as another fake agency is detected in SGF office

by Eze Chidozie
August 21, 2026
0

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of Prince George Buchi Nwabueze in connection with the discovery of National...

Read moreDetails
US, Israel-Iran War: Tehran’s Archbishop evacuated to Rome

On the Relics of St Agatha

August 21, 2026
Chevron reiterates commitment to Yoyo-Yolanda Project as Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon sign agreement

CNL highlights regulatory imperatives at PENGASSAN Summit 

August 21, 2026
FCT doctors embark on three-day warning strike

Nigeria records 45,000 new HIV infections in 2025 — NACA

August 21, 2026
Anyaoku warns against delayed new constitution to manage Nigeria’s diversity

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

August 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng