Tuesday, August 18, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Crime

Terrorists kill 28 in Sokoto community, 20 on the Plateau

Hassan Tanko by Hassan Tanko
August 18, 2026
in Crime
0
Funtua Council Chairman meets bandits in Katsina on peace mission amid threats of U.S. military threat, sanctions
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

At least 28 people, including the Chief Imam of Ungushi Izala Jumu’at Mosque, Imam Aliyu, were reportedly killed when bandits attacked Ungushi community in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State on Sunday evening.

The attack came amid renewed security concerns in Kebbe, where communities have recently faced threats from armed groups allegedly linked to the Lakurawa terrorist organisation.

Confirming the incident, the spokesman of the command, DSP Ahmed Rufai, said it was difficult to ascertain the actual number of victims.

He, however, said no fewer than 28 corpses were recovered in the aftermath of the incident.

Residents said the attackers invaded Ungushi in the evening and opened fire on residents, killing 22 people, mostly civilians.

The killing of Imam Aliyu, a respected religious leader in the community, has particularly shocked residents, who said the victims included farmers, traders, religious leaders and other members of the community.

A resident, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said, “These are ordinary people. They are farmers, traders, religious leaders and family members. They have done nothing to deserve this.”

Another source said the attack had heightened fear among residents, with some families fleeing their homes following reports of fresh displacement from neighbouring communities.

“People are no longer sleeping peacefully. Families are leaving their homes because they fear another attack. We need urgent intervention before more communities are deserted,” the source said.

The latest killings followed reports on Friday that a large number of armed men on motorcycles had entered parts of Kebbe LGA, allegedly attacking residents, looting shops and damaging property.

The Sokoto State Police Command confirmed that an incident occurred in the area but said it was still gathering information before issuing a detailed statement.

Amid the renewed threats, the General Officer Commanding, 8 Division, Nigerian Army, Maj Gen Bemgba Koughna, visited the Forward Operating Base, Kebbe, on Sunday, to assess the security situation and reassure residents of the readiness of troops to confront the threats.

Koughna also met community leaders and residents, listened to their concerns and reviewed the security situation in the area.

He said the Nigerian Army had adjusted its security architecture to prevent further infiltration by terrorists and protect vulnerable communities.

“Troops remain fully deployed, highly alert and operationally focused on protecting lives and property,” the GOC said.

He added that measures had been put in place to ensure emerging threats were quickly identified and contained before they escalated.

“The Nigerian Army remains unwavering in its determination to respond swiftly and decisively to any emerging threats,” Koughna said.

The Army chief assured residents that terrorist elements would not be allowed to establish safe havens in Kebbe and its surrounding communities.

“We will continue to maintain a robust presence in this area and ensure that our troops remain ready to respond to any threat to the peace and security of the people,” he said.

Koughna urged residents not to panic and appealed for stronger collaboration between the military and communities, particularly through timely sharing of credible intelligence.

“Community support remains a critical component in detecting, disrupting and dismantling terrorist networks before they can launch attacks,” he said.

He urged community leaders and residents to report suspicious movements, unfamiliar persons and other activities that could pose security threats.

The GOC reiterated the commitment of troops to protecting lives, property and critical infrastructure in Kebbe and other vulnerable communities within the operational area.

“We will not allow criminal elements to intimidate our people or disrupt their livelihoods. Our troops are prepared and will continue to operate with determination and professionalism,” he said.

Residents, however, called for sustained military presence and intelligence-led operations to prevent further attacks and restore confidence in the affected communities.

A community leader said continued attacks were disrupting social and economic activities in the area.

“People cannot farm, children are afraid to go to school, and families are abandoning their homes. If nothing is done urgently, we may witness the complete displacement of these communities,” he said.

The Army’s operational assessment formed part of ongoing efforts to strengthen security around Kebbe and other vulnerable communities following recent incidents in the area.

The visit was disclosed in a statement issued on Sunday by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 8 Division, Nigerian Army and Sector 2, Operation Fansan Yamma, Lt Col Olaniyi Osoba.

*20 killed on the Plateau

Meanwhile, over 20 people, including women and children, are feared killed, with others still missing, in an attack on Amper, in the BWI district of the Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State.

The attack occurred in the early hours of Tuesday, making it the third attack recorded in Mangu in the past week. One person was shot in the previous attack, according to local sources.

But the Public Relations Officer of the Plateau Police Command, Alfred Alabo, confirmed the attack, saying the initial figure received by the command was 18 casualties.

Alabo, however, said the figure is believed to have risen to more than 20, as further details emerge from the affected community.

He added that the Commissioner of Police in Plateau, Faniyan Ayodeji, and his team are currently on their way to the scene to assess the situation.

The latest attack has heightened concerns among residents, who are calling on the government to strengthen security and protect communities from further attacks.


*Killings must stop – Atiku

The former Vice-President and presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress, Atiku Abubakar, has urged the Federal Government to move beyond condolence messages and take decisive action to prevent further killings.

In a statement on Monday on his verified X account, he described the victims as innocent Nigerians whose deaths had further highlighted the worsening insecurity across the country.

“I am devastated by the killing of 32 innocent Nigerians in Ungushi community, Kebbe LGA of Sokoto State,” he said.

He expressed sympathy with the bereaved families and residents of Sokoto State, praying for the repose of the deceased and strength for their loved ones.

“My heart goes out to the bereaved families and the people of Sokoto State. May Allah forgive the departed and give their loved ones the strength to endure this unbearable loss,” he said.

The former Vice President, however, said condolences from government officials were no longer sufficient in the face of recurring attacks and killings across the country.

“But condolences are no longer enough. How many more Nigerians must be slaughtered before this government treats the protection of human life as an emergency?” he asked.

Atiku said the frequency of such attacks was alarming, warning that the government must not become comfortable with issuing statements after every massacre without taking effective measures to protect citizens.

“These killings have become frighteningly recurrent, and a government that cannot protect its citizens must not become comfortable issuing statements after every massacre,” he said.

He called on the Federal Government to strengthen intelligence gathering, secure vulnerable communities and ensure that those responsible for the killings were arrested and prosecuted.

“The Federal Government must move from condolences to action: strengthen intelligence, secure vulnerable communities and bring the perpetrators to justice,” Atiku said.

He stressed that the primary responsibility of the government was to protect the lives and property of citizens, adding that Nigerians should not continue to bury their loved ones while those entrusted with their security offered excuses.

“The first duty of government is to protect life. Nigerians cannot continue to bury their loved ones while those entrusted with their security offer excuses,” he said.

Atiku prayed for peace in Sokoto State and across the country, urging the government to take urgent measures to prevent further loss of lives.

“May Allah comfort Sokoto and restore peace to our nation,” he added. (The Punch and Channels)

Previous Post

How 24 firms control over 70 percent of Nigeria’s stock market

Next Post

Osun Election: APC spent N70bn to buy 444,816 votes, Dino Melaye alleges

Next Post
Osun Election: APC spent N70bn to buy 444,816 votes, Dino Melaye alleges

Osun Election: APC spent N70bn to buy 444,816 votes, Dino Melaye alleges

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
The only way to rig 2027 election — Ex-Minister Osita Chidoka
Politics

The only way to rig 2027 election — Ex-Minister Osita Chidoka

by Euclid Myke
August 18, 2026
0

A former Minister of Aviation, Osita Chidoka, has said the 2027 general elections will be difficult to rig if the Independent...

Read moreDetails
Police summon presidential aspirant for suing APC, INEC over primaries

Police summon presidential aspirant for suing APC, INEC over primaries

August 18, 2026
How Abdulsalami, Akhigbe, Nsikak, Diya escaped death under Abacha

How Abdulsalami, Akhigbe, Nsikak, Diya escaped death under Abacha

August 18, 2026
20 years after, Wike reviews sales of  government houses in Abuja 

How to apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 18, 2026
Osun Election: APC spent N70bn to buy 444,816 votes, Dino Melaye alleges

Osun Election: APC spent N70bn to buy 444,816 votes, Dino Melaye alleges

August 18, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng