Monday, August 17, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Over 4,000 abandoned mine pits litter Plateau – Alake

Euclid Myke by Euclid Myke
August 17, 2026
in Business
0
Over 4,000 abandoned mine pits litter Plateau – Alake
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dele Alake, has disclosed that more than 4,000 abandoned mine pits exist across Plateau State, following the death of seven people in a collapsed mine pit at Kassa in Barkin Ladi Local Government Area.

Alake stated that many of the abandoned pits, dug by former mining companies, now pose serious environmental and safety challenges but could be converted into productive ventures through proper rehabilitation.

The minister disclosed this in a statement on Sunday by his Special Assistant on Media, Lara Owoeye-Wise, in the aftermath of the tragic mine pit collapse at Kassa.

Alake described the incident, which claimed seven lives, as tragic and avoidable, warning artisanal miners against entering abandoned mine pits without obtaining the required licences and permits.

He urged artisanal miners to organise themselves into cooperatives and obtain the necessary approvals to enable them to operate legally.

According to the minister, the large number of abandoned mine pits scattered across Plateau State was a legacy of the activities of the former Amalgamated Tin Mines Limited and its successor companies, Consolidated Tin Mines Limited and Nigerian Tin and Allied Products Limited.

He said the Federal Government had so far rehabilitated 59 abandoned mine pits, while also introducing technology-driven measures to identify and assess thousands of other abandoned sites.

Alake explained that the Ministry of Solid Minerals Development had entered into a public-private partnership to deploy Geographic Information System satellite mapping and Artificial Intelligence to locate and characterise the abandoned mine pits.

He said Plateau State would serve as the pilot beneficiary of the initiative, which would also develop plans for the eventual reclamation of the sites.

The minister further urged private investors to partner with the government to transform the abandoned mine sites into productive ventures, including energy, tourism and fisheries projects.

He described public-private partnership as the “most proactive and fastest approach” to converting the abandoned pits from environmental and safety hazards into productive assets.

“The challenge before the state and the Federal Government is how to turn these potential pits of death into centres of joyful prosperity,” Alake said.

Previous Post

NFIU receives 42,082 suspicious transaction reports from banks, Fintechs in 2025

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Over 4,000 abandoned mine pits litter Plateau – Alake
Business

Over 4,000 abandoned mine pits litter Plateau – Alake

by Euclid Myke
August 17, 2026
0

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Dele Alake, has disclosed that more than 4,000 abandoned mine pits exist across Plateau State,...

Read moreDetails
NFIU receives 42,082 suspicious transaction reports from banks, Fintechs in 2025

NFIU receives 42,082 suspicious transaction reports from banks, Fintechs in 2025

August 17, 2026
Frozen Account: I’ve instructed Attorney-General to drop suit against EFCC – Gov. Adeleke

Frozen Account: I’ve instructed Attorney-General to drop suit against EFCC – Gov. Adeleke

August 17, 2026
$300,000 traces to suspected Yahoo-Yahoo fraudster – EFCC

EFCC transfers $60m recovered from Nestoil to creditor banks

August 17, 2026
SERAP seeks court order to compel CBN disclose LGA fund details

Osun Election: SERAP urges INEC, EFCC, ICPC to probe vote-buying, violence, calls for regional, UN scrutiny

August 17, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng