Friday, August 21, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primaries, cites peace, unity 

Bature Magaji by Bature Magaji
May 21, 2026
in Politics
0
Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primaries, cites peace, unity 
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Governor Siminalayi Fubara of Rivers has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) gubernatorial primaries ahead of the 2027 governorship election in the state.

Fubara announced his decision in a statement he issued to Journalists in Port Harcourt on Wednesday.

Fubara said his move followed “deep reflection and extensive consultations” with his family, friends and associates.

The governor said he took the decision in the interest of peace, stability and unity of Rivers people.

“Leadership is ultimately about sacrifice. There comes a time when personal ambition must yield to the greater good of the people.

“Rivers state is bigger than any individual, and at this critical moment, the peace, stability and unity of our dear state must take precedence over every personal interest,” he said.

Fubara pledged support for whoever emerged as the APC candidate, describing the party as “our collective home”.

He thanked his supporters for their loyalty and sacrifices throughout the political process, while acknowledging the disappointment many might feel over his withdrawal.

“I understand the disappointment, the anger and the pain many of you may feel. Much has indeed been invested and much sacrificed along the way.

“But please know that your loyalty and trust were never in vain,” he said.

The governor said his silence in recent times had been “deliberate and strategic”, adding that some decisions were taken in the higher interest of the state.

“As our elders say, not everything a hunter sees in the forest is spoken of in the marketplace.

“Some truths are best borne quietly, not out of fear, but out of wisdom and restraint for the sake of peace and a greater purpose,” he said.

Fubara also expressed appreciation to President Bola Tinubu for his support and encouragement during the period.

He urged APC members and supporters in the state to remain steadfast and committed to the party’s collective vision.

The governor, however, maintained that his withdrawal should not be interpreted as an act of weakness or surrender.

“Let it be clearly understood that I stepped aside from participating in the upcoming Rivers state gubernatorial election not out of weakness, fear or surrender, but out of conviction and sacrifice so that Rivers state may move forward in peace and unity,” he said.

Fubara reaffirmed his commitment to serving the people of Rivers until the end of his tenure.

Previous Post

Coup: We held meeting to cut power to Presidential Villa – Suspected plotter

Next Post

Atiku at ADC screening panel, promises robust security reforms

Next Post
Atiku at ADC screening panel, promises robust security reforms

Atiku at ADC screening panel, promises robust security reforms

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Pension: Senate confirms Oloworaran as substantive PenCom DG
Business

Pension: Senate confirms Oloworaran as substantive PenCom DG

by Newsdesk Africa
August 21, 2026
0

By Sam Otuonye The Senate on Thursday, at plenary, confirmed the nomination of Omolola Oloworaran for appointment as the substantive...

Read moreDetails
Osun election: Adeleke presents Certificate of Return to Tinubu

Osun election: Adeleke presents Certificate of Return to Tinubu

August 20, 2026
Tinubu’s govt has failed Nigerians — Atiku

2027 my final attempt at presidency – Atiku

August 20, 2026
Tinubu’s govt has failed Nigerians — Atiku

I’ll restore subsidy if elected in 2027 – Atiku

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng