Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Energy

NNPC staff members’ exit plan sparks anxiety, political concerns ahead of 2027 elections

Bature Magaji by Bature Magaji
May 20, 2026
in Energy
0
NNPCL announces milestone on AKK Pipeline, records 100% crude oil pipeline availability 
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

An internal staff exit programme at the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), has raised anxiety among employees and drawn political scrutiny ahead of the 2027 elections.

The scheme, introduced under the Group Chief Executive Officer, Bashir Bayo Ojulari, includes an Accelerated Exit Scheme and a Voluntary Exit Scheme, targeting workers nearing retirement.

Management noted that the programme is part of efforts to transform NNPC into a globally competitive energy company.

Employees across departments have stated that the move has created uncertainty, with many fearing it could lead to wider job cuts.

The concern has spread through NNPC Towers, as workers await further details on the restructuring plan.

Their concern was heightened with the workers recalling last week’s joint venture with Chinese firms to revitalise the refineries hitherto unserviceable, could force NNPC bring in expatriates to perform duties hitherto carried out by Nigerian engineers.

This, they noted, could lead to more job losses, and affecting the families of those to be consequently affected negatively.

Industry analysts and labour observers have raised eyebrows on the timing, citing rising inflation, unemployment, and economic hardship.

They argue that job cuts in the current climate could affect public perception of President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

“There is hardship everywhere already. This is not the kind of policy Nigerians expect from a government seeking public support. The optics are terrible,” an Abuja-based analyst said.

Another stakeholder said the development could carry political consequences.

“When workers are fearful and jobs are under threat, the public will naturally blame the government. 

“Some are even questioning whether Ojulari fully understands the political implications of this decision,” the source said.

NNPC management maintains that the exit schemes are voluntary and aimed at repositioning the company for efficiency and competitiveness.

Despite the explanation, tension remains within the organisation as staff members prepare for potential changes, while labour unions are hearing up for a showdown with NNPCL management.

Previous Post

We are not a united nation; my goal is to bring Nigeria together – Obi

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
NNPCL announces milestone on AKK Pipeline, records 100% crude oil pipeline availability 
Energy

NNPC staff members’ exit plan sparks anxiety, political concerns ahead of 2027 elections

by Bature Magaji
May 20, 2026
0

An internal staff exit programme at the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), has raised anxiety among employees and drawn...

Read moreDetails
We are not a united nation; my goal is to bring Nigeria together – Obi

We are not a united nation; my goal is to bring Nigeria together – Obi

May 20, 2026
Troops kill 8 terrorists in Katsina

Nigeria–U.S. joint strikes kill 175 ISIS fighters, several top commanders — DHQ

May 20, 2026
Oyo Kidnapping: Esin-Ele leaders go spiritual

Oyo Kidnapping: Esin-Ele leaders go spiritual

May 20, 2026
Gunmen attack Amaechi’s convoy, burn ADC office in Rivers

My grouse with ADC leadership – Rotimi Amaechi 

May 20, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng