Wednesday, May 20, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

Derecognition:ADC youths give INEC 72 hours, threaten nationwide protest

Maurice Okosisi by Maurice Okosisi
April 7, 2026
in Politics
0
Derecognition:ADC youths give INEC 72 hours, threaten nationwide protest
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Youth Wing of the African Democratic Congress, on Monday, gave a three-day ultimatum to the Independent National Electoral Commission, demanding the restoration of the party’s leadership as recognised in 2025 or face nationwide civic action.

ADC National Youth Leader, Balarabe Rufa’i, issued this ultimatum while addressing journalists at the party’s national headquarters in Abuja, on Monday.

He accused INEC of undermining democracy and acting outside its constitutional powers.

Rufa’i described Nigeria as being “under democratic siege,” alleging that institutions meant to safeguard the will of the people were being compromised and weaponised against democratic principles.

The ADC youth leader traced the crisis to a National Executive Committee meeting held on July 29, 2025, where the party dissolved its National Working Committee and produced a new leadership led by David Mark.

He said INEC had initially verified and officially recognised the outcome in September 2025 without any dispute.

“Months later, individuals who had already resigned resurfaced to challenge a process they had no legal standing in,” Rufa’i said, adding that despite a Court of Appeal directive to maintain the last uncontested position, INEC allegedly ignored the order and acted on pending motions and non-binding communications.

Rufai insisted that INEC lacked the constitutional authority to interpret court rulings, describing its actions as “complicity, partisanship, and institutional sabotage”.

The ADC youth leader urged the National Assembly to urgently investigate the matter and consider appropriate sanctions, including the possible removal of the INEC Chairman. He also urged the judiciary to clarify its orders to prevent what he described as manipulation and to reaffirm its authority as the sole interpreter of the law.

Rufa’i further appealed to the military to remain neutral, emphasising that the issue was strictly a civil and constitutional matter.

Reaffirming the party’s stance, he declared that the leadership produced at the July 2025 NEC meeting remained the only legitimate authority within the ADC, warning that any attempt to alter it without a final court judgment would be “illegal, null, and void”.

The group outlined its demands, including the immediate restoration of the David Mark-led leadership on INEC’s official portal, a public apology from the commission, and a commitment to uphold neutrality and the rule of law.

Rufa’i also called on the administration of Bola Ahmed Tinubu to refrain from actions that could weaken opposition parties, warning that such moves would threaten Nigeria’s democracy.

He warned that failure to comply within 72 hours would trigger nationwide, peaceful protests, including the occupation of INEC offices across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“We will not retreat, we will not be intimidated, and we will not be silenced. This is bigger than ADC. This is about Nigeria,” he said.

This comes days after INEC derecognised ADC leadership over a pending court dispute.

INEC chairman, Professor Joash Amupitan, had explained that if ADC goes ahead with its planned congresses and convention, it may affect the opposition party in the 2027 general elections.

Previous Post

Fresh Killings: Suspend rhetoric, get to work, Atiku tells Tinubu

Next Post

2027: Stop castigating Tinubu over ADC crisis, Presidency warns Peter Obi

Next Post
Fresh Killings: Suspend rhetoric, get to work, Atiku tells Tinubu

2027: Stop castigating Tinubu over ADC crisis, Presidency warns Peter Obi

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
NNPCL announces milestone on AKK Pipeline, records 100% crude oil pipeline availability 
Energy

NNPC staff members’ exit plan sparks anxiety, political concerns ahead of 2027 elections

by Bature Magaji
May 20, 2026
0

An internal staff exit programme at the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), has raised anxiety among employees and drawn...

Read moreDetails
We are not a united nation; my goal is to bring Nigeria together – Obi

We are not a united nation; my goal is to bring Nigeria together – Obi

May 20, 2026
Troops kill 8 terrorists in Katsina

Nigeria–U.S. joint strikes kill 175 ISIS fighters, several top commanders — DHQ

May 20, 2026
Oyo Kidnapping: Esin-Ele leaders go spiritual

Oyo Kidnapping: Esin-Ele leaders go spiritual

May 20, 2026
Gunmen attack Amaechi’s convoy, burn ADC office in Rivers

My grouse with ADC leadership – Rotimi Amaechi 

May 20, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng