Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Iran’s 2026 World Cup doubtful amid regional tension

Eze Chidozie by Eze Chidozie
March 3, 2026
in Sports
0
Iran’s 2026 World Cup doubtful amid regional tension
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The president of the Iran Football Federation, Mehdi Taj, has expressed uncertainty over the participation of the Iran national football team in this summer’s FIFA World Cup following ongoing military strikes that have plunged the country into crisis.

Speaking to Iranian sports outlet Varzesh3 on Sunday, Taj said recent developments have made it difficult for the country to focus on football preparations.

He noted that after the attacks, expectations for the national team to approach the tournament with optimism had significantly diminished.

The uncertainty follows continued airstrikes linked to a joint United States and Israeli military campaign, which reportedly resulted in the death of Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ali Khamenei, alongside several senior officials.

United States President Donald Trump said fighting in Iran could continue for several weeks, further raising concerns about the country’s political stability and its international sporting commitments.

Despite the situation, FIFA Secretary General Mattias Grafström said the organisation remains focused on ensuring that all qualified teams participate safely in the tournament.

Grafström, speaking during a press briefing in Wales, stated that FIFA’s priority remains delivering a secure competition with full participation.

Diplomatic tensions have already complicated Iran’s World Cup preparations. Late last year, the U.S. State Department declined to approve some visa applications submitted by Iranian officials ahead of the tournament draw in Washington, prompting Tehran to threaten a boycott before FIFA intervened to resolve the dispute.

Travel restrictions imposed by Washington, including a ban affecting citizens from several countries such as Iran, are also expected to create challenges for Iranian supporters hoping to attend matches in the United States.

Meanwhile, Andrew Giuliani, who heads the White House World Cup task force, praised the military action while downplaying potential disruptions to the tournament.

Iran is scheduled to begin its World Cup campaign in Los Angeles against New Zealand and Belgium before travelling to Seattle for a group-stage clash against Egypt.

Previous Post

DSS arrests suspect over attack on Peter Obi, other ADC leaders

Next Post

TCN restrings Benin- Ajaokuta 330kV transmission line

Next Post
Electricity customers owe DisCos N497bn in 2024

TCN restrings Benin- Ajaokuta 330kV transmission line

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Nigerians must take stance, determine where country is headed democratically – Obi
Cover

2027: Obi unveils prpduction-focused economic, security agenda

by Maurice Okosisi
August 22, 2026
0

*Urges Nigerians to reject ethnic, religious politics The presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Obi, has unveiled...

Read moreDetails
Obi writes to Nigerian youths as European League kicks off

Obi writes to Nigerian youths as European League kicks off

August 22, 2026
Power: FG seeks collaboration with EU

Geregu Power: Yari moves to settle outstanding bond obligation

August 22, 2026
2027: INEC targets 100m registered voters

2027: INEC seeks Canada’s support on electoral technology, AI, inclusivity

August 22, 2026
Obi’s litigious reflexes vs Adeyanju’s burden of truth

Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu

August 22, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng