Friday, August 21, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Twist as EFCC blames Okupe’s arrest on 2016 Watch-list request

Mohammed Koi by Mohammed Koi
January 13, 2023
in News
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

There has been a fresh twist to the arrest Thursday of former presidential adviser, Doyin Okupe by operatives of the Department of State Services, DSS.Until recently, Okupe was the Director General, Labour Party Presidential Campaign Council.

Though DSS said it acted based on a request from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, the anti graft agency has blamed a 2016 watch-list for the arrest.The commission said it was in the process of “formally lifting the watch-list before his interception.”

Reacting to Okupe arrest, EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren confirmed in a statement that, “The Department of State Services, DSS, today, January 12, informed the Commission of the interception of Dr. Doyin Okupe, former presidential adviser, at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.

He however noted that, “The Service acted on a Watch-list request issued on July 18, 2016, over six years before his recent conviction on money laundering charges by the Federal High Court, Abuja.

Uwujarenconsequently y revealed that, “The Commission was in the process of formally lifting the watch-list before his interception and will expedite action in this regard.”

We intercepted Okupe based on EFCC’s request – DSS

While confirming Okupe’s arrest, Peter Afunanya, Public Relations Officer of DSS, said it acted on a request by EFCC

He said, “Doyin Okupe was intercepted by the DSS at Terminal 1 of Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos this morning at the instance of the EFCC.

“He has long been handed over to the Commisson which requested for the action.

Okupe released, says his arrest was in error

Prior to the update by the EFCC Okupe had tweeted that his arrest was in error.

He said, “I was arrested & detained @ the MMIA, Lagos this morning, 12th Jan on my way to UK for medicals; years after my passport had been withheld by the FHC Abuja.

“I just left the EFCC office where Snr Officers in Lagos & Abuja appologised (sic) to me for the error.

“OCCUPATIONAL HAZZARD abi?”

See his twitter post below:


Doyin

@doyinokupe

·

Follow

I was arrested & detained @ the MMIA, Lagos this morning, 12th Jan on my way to UK for medicals; years after my passport had been withheld by the FHC Abuja. I just left the EFCC office where Snr Officers in Lagos & Abuja appologised to me for the error. OCCUPATIONAL HAZZARD abi?


Previous Post

Nigeria working with ECOWAS to stop coups in W’Africa, says Buhari

Next Post

2023: INEC extends collection of PVCs nationwide

Next Post

2023: INEC extends collection of PVCs nationwide

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
US, Israel-Iran War: Tehran’s Archbishop evacuated to Rome
Opinion

On the Relics of St Agatha

by Newsdesk Africa
August 21, 2026
0

Valentine Obienyem The images and videos of Catholics venerating the relics of St Agatha, particularly what is traditionally identified as...

Read moreDetails
Chevron reiterates commitment to Yoyo-Yolanda Project as Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon sign agreement

CNL highlights regulatory imperatives at PENGASSAN Summit 

August 21, 2026
FCT doctors embark on three-day warning strike

Nigeria records 45,000 new HIV infections in 2025 — NACA

August 21, 2026
Anyaoku warns against delayed new constitution to manage Nigeria’s diversity

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

August 21, 2026
Insecurity: Nigeria’s 800-strong Elite force ready

Military advises veterans to join free healthcare insurance scheme under defence

August 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng