Sunday, May 24, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Hushpuppi didn’t know $14.7 million Malta bank heist was Internet crrime – Lawyer

Chidiebere Nwobodo by Chidiebere Nwobodo
September 10, 2022
in Business
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Internet fraudster, Ramon Abbas, otherwise known as  ‘Hushpuppi’, has told the US court that he was not aware that the $14.7 million Malta bank fraud was an internet crime. 

Abbas claimed he ignorantly provided bank account information to “an old friend” in need – Ghaleb Alaumary, unknown to him, he was a bank heist mastermind.  
Louis Shapiro, an American defence attorney hired by Mr Abbas, spoke in a memorandum seeking a downward review of the fraudster’s sentencing. According to Shapiro, “In this case, Mr Abbas was approached by an old friend Ghaleb Alaumary or Alamaury and was asked to help him procure bank account information. 

“This information was to be used to wire transfer fraudulently obtained funds – the extent of which was unknown to Mr Abbas.”

Shapiro made the claimed in the memorandum filed on September 5 at the District Court for the Central District of California according to agency reports.
Hushpuppi’s attorney further noted that the money heist had already been set in motion even before the Nigerian’s involvement, suggesting Mr Abbas only made an error of judgment by furnishing his “friend” with bank details used in carrying out the heist.“The scheme that Mr Abbas became entangled in was already in operation prior to his involvement. It was being spearheaded by Ghaleb Alaumary and individuals in North Korea, with whom Mr Abbas had no knowledge,” the lawyer further claimed in an effort to temper the gravity of Mr Abbas’s crime. 

“Mr Abbas was not aware of how many individuals were involved in this scheme, neither was he aware of the monetary extent of the scheme.” 

In the document, Mr Abbas said returning to Nigeria after his sentence would be his undoing, pointing out that his role in the indictment of the suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, DCP, Abba Kyari, which precipitated the downfall of Nigeria’s most-celebrated police officer, has put him at grave risk of being harmed should he return after serving out his sentence in a U.S. correctional facility.

Abbas is looking at spending 11 years in prison and three years of supervised release for his role in a multinational conspiracy that earned him millions of dollars between 2019 and 2020. 

Previous Post

Umahi: ‘Obidient’ movement shows APC, PDP miscalculated on Igbo presidency

Next Post

Amidst Rising Insecurity: Rumpus in Police over salaries, allowances

Next Post

Amidst Rising Insecurity: Rumpus in Police over salaries, allowances

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Nigeria Customs Strengthens Inter-Agency Fight Against Transnational Crimes
Business

Nigeria Customs Strengthens Inter-Agency Fight Against Transnational Crimes

by Newsdesk Africa
May 23, 2026
0

By Sam Otuonye The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has emphasised the importance of stronger collaboration, intelligence sharing, and inter-agency synergy...

Read moreDetails
INEC Chairman Amupitan not corrupt, insider faults Dalung’s claims

Court annuls INEC membership register deadline

May 21, 2026
UBA champions Diaspora healthcare investment at ANPA America symposium

UBA champions Diaspora healthcare investment at ANPA America symposium

May 21, 2026
Keeping pace with CBN’s back-to-back feats

CBN retains lending rate at 26.6% – Cardoso

May 21, 2026
Atiku at ADC screening panel, promises robust security reforms

Atiku at ADC screening panel, promises robust security reforms

May 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng