Wednesday, August 19, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Hijab Crisis: Lawyer wears pastoral robe to court

Maurice Okosisi by Maurice Okosisi
July 1, 2022
in News
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A lawyer, Ogbachalu Goshen, on Thursday appeared at the Okpoko Magistrate Court in the Ogbaru Local Government Area, near Onitsha, Anambra State, dressed like a priest.

However, the proceedings were disrupted as the magistrate, CB Mbaegbu, objected to his dressing, adding that he could not appear in such regalia as a defence counsel, The Punch reports.

Goshen, in return, disagreed with the magistrate, citing the recent Supreme Court judgement that gave female students the backing to wear hijab in public schools as a precedent.

He also insisted that it was his right, adding that the objection by the Magistrate was an infringement on his fundamental rights as enshrined in Section 38 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Meanwhile, as both parties refused to shift ground, the Magistrate rose, thereby forcing the court to dismiss immediately.

Speaking to journalists, Goshen stood his ground noting that the incident had already become a constitutional matter since the Supreme Court’s ruling that allows the use of hijab in public schools and facilities.

The lawyer said the court needs to answer what its position would be if it were a female Muslim lawyer who entered the court in her hijab.

He further noted that he is an ordained pastor and should also be allowed to appear that way in court since the Supreme Court’s decision on the hijab matter is that it is allowed.

When asked if the Supreme Court ruling is in the best interest of the judiciary, he said that for now, it remains a precedent that must be obeyed unless there is a judicial review.

Previous Post

Broadband is coming to the underserved, NCC assures

Next Post

Anambra records two cases of Monkey Pox

Next Post

Anambra records two cases of Monkey Pox

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
2027: INEC targets 100m registered voters
Cover

2027: INEC targets 100m registered voters

by Eze Chidozie
August 19, 2026
0

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has projected that Nigeria’s registered voting population will surpass 100 million ahead of the...

Read moreDetails
INEC Chairman Amupitan not corrupt, insider faults Dalung’s claims

2027: INEC to deploys 1.4m staff in 176,000 polling units

August 19, 2026
Nigeria spends $10bn on food imports annually, says minister

Rising food prices signals failure of ideas, ADC taunts Tinubu

August 19, 2026
Electricity customers owe DisCos N497bn in 2024

NISO, NBET strengthen collaboration to improve Nigeria’s electricity market

August 19, 2026
Power: FG seeks collaboration with EU

FG commissions 100MVA transformer at Alausa, boosts substation capacity to 205MVA

August 19, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng