Friday, August 21, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

FG spends 98% of her revenue on debt servicing — Peter Obi

Our Reporters by Our Reporters
April 7, 2022
in Business
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

By Ada Okafor 

The former Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi, has disclosed that Nigeria is facing crisis of monumental proportion claiming that the Federal Government now spends 98 percent of its revenue on debt servicing.

Obi, who was the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) Vice-Presidential candidate in 2019, lamented the woeful condition of the nation’s economy, pointing out that the best candidate for the 2023 presidential election is the antidote to the economic woes.

 Speaking with newsmen shortly after briefing the National Working Committee (NWC) of the PDP, Obi, who is a presidential aspirant, emphasised that the country should allow the best candidate to emerge in 2023, adding that that is the way out of the nation’s economic quagmire. 

He said: “We are in a crisis situation. What the party can do is to allow the best candidate to emerge. 

“Our country is in a crisis situation, we are now using over 90% of our budget to service debt. 

“First four months of last year, we earned N1.875 trillion, we used N1.802 trillion to service debt, that is 98% of our revenue was thrown into servicing debt.

“Last year, we said that on the budget of N13 trillion, we were supposed to borrow N4 trillion but what we generated was far below so we borrowed N6.5 to N7 trillion. 

“This year we said that we are going to generate N20 trillion to borrow only N7 trillion but I can assure you that we will borrow more than that so we have crisis on our hands.” 

He suggested that the way out of the nation’s economic woes is to move the country from consumption to production. 

He said: “There is nothing to share again, we now need wealth creators not wealth sharers.

“We have been sharing wealth for a long time, we need to start creating wealth.” 

Speaking on the deteriorating insecurity, the former governor of Anambra State said, “We are now on the top of the list of the most fragile states. 

“We are now on the top of the list of the most terrorised states sitting behind Yemen and Afghanistan. 

“We are the capital of poverty in the world. We now have more people living under poverty than most big nations combined.

“We now have several millions of out of school children.” 

Speaking on unemployment, Obi said: “Unemployment is 33% officially but when you add under employment, it is about 55%. 

“60% of these are the young ones who constitute the asset and the engine room of their productive age.” 

Previous Post

Innoson plans Owerri plant 

Next Post

2023 Presidency: Wike hosts northern PDP presidential aspirants

Next Post

2023 Presidency: Wike hosts northern PDP presidential aspirants

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Pension: Senate confirms Oloworaran as substantive PenCom DG
Business

Pension: Senate confirms Oloworaran as substantive PenCom DG

by Newsdesk Africa
August 21, 2026
0

By Sam Otuonye The Senate on Thursday, at plenary, confirmed the nomination of Omolola Oloworaran for appointment as the substantive...

Read moreDetails
Osun election: Adeleke presents Certificate of Return to Tinubu

Osun election: Adeleke presents Certificate of Return to Tinubu

August 20, 2026
Tinubu’s govt has failed Nigerians — Atiku

2027 my final attempt at presidency – Atiku

August 20, 2026
Tinubu’s govt has failed Nigerians — Atiku

I’ll restore subsidy if elected in 2027 – Atiku

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng