• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
  • Login
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Cover

Ritualist Den: Police arrest 10 suspects

Bature Magaji by Bature Magaji
August 30, 2022
in Cover
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

*Say morgue operator not licensed, building not certified

*As Edo govt gives all mortuary operators till Sept 30 for registration

The Edo State Police Command has intensified investigation to unravel the true situation of the alleged discovery of ritualists’ den along Ekenwan Road axis of Benin City, with the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Investigations, Olawore Oluwole, revealing that the morgue operator, Gabriel Chukwu Otu was not a certified mortician.

DCP Oluwole, while speaking at a press conference organised by the Edo State government and the state police command, to provide an update on the latest development on the alleged ritual activities in the state, said 10 suspects have so far been arrested and interrogated.

He noted that during the investigation, the police interfaced with medical personnel, lawyers, members of the public, representatives of Benin Traditional Council (BTC), families of those who deposited corpses and pathologists.

The DCP said the situation was not a case of alleged ritual act practice, adding, “The prime suspect Gabriel Chukwu Otu is with the police and has made a statement. 

Investigations revealed that Otu did not acquire formal training, but only worked at different mortuaries as a mortuary attendant.

“Otu had no certificate to practice as a mortician or any certification from the traditional board, as well as the ministries of health and environment. 

“The building used is not certified by the ministry of health or environment.”

The DCP continued: “In the course of investigations, two suspects, Yusuf Lawal and Victor Obeche were discovered to be scavengers and a passerby. 

“Twenty three mummified bodies and one dismembered body without a skull suggest an unlawful possession.

“A person said his mother was among the mummified bodies while another said his mother and child were reported missing in February this year, and would like to see the corpses to lay claim to them.

“In the course of our investigation, no fresh corpse was found but some shrines were found at the premises of the alleged ritual den. 

“The shrine with the dismembered body at the site connotes a message.”

Calling for calm among residents, Oluwole said, “I want to appeal to Edo people to remain calm while investigation into the incident continues.”

On her part, the Edo State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Obehi Akoria, said, “The Edo State Ministry of Health is using this opportunity to reach out to all persons who own or operate mortuaries or embalmment homes to come to the Directorate of Regulation and Monitoring at the Ministry of Health with evidence of due registration latest by 30th of September, 2022, if they are duly registered.

“However, for those who are not duly registered, we are giving them till the close of business on the 9th of September, 2022, to come to the Ministry to get from us the basic requirements for the operation of mortuaries and embalmment homes in the state.”

Previous Post

ICRC raises the alarm over 14,000 missing children in Nigeria

Next Post

Police arrest informants to notorious bandit leader in Katsina

Next Post

Police arrest informants to notorious bandit leader in Katsina

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
First Lady flags off National Community Food Bank campaign
News

First Lady flags off National Community Food Bank campaign

by Maurice Okosisi
February 17, 2026
0

Nigeria’s First Lady, Oluremi Tinubu, on Tuesday launched the National Advocacy and Awareness Campaign for the National Community Food Bank Programme,...

Read moreDetails
PHOTO NEWS-NCC

PHOTO NEWS-NCC

February 17, 2026
CNG: Reps slams FG over unfair distribution of conversation centers

Plateau youths get CNG training to boost green energy skills

February 17, 2026
Insecurity: Senate moots two-day national security summit

Accountant-General, Auditor-General ordered by Reps to submit 2023-2025 financial statements 

February 17, 2026
Power: FG seeks collaboration with EU

Power Infrastructure: TCN engages Kaduna monarchs to curb vandalism, right-of-way encroachment 

February 17, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng