Thursday, August 20, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home World

Moscow demurs as Ukraine says it sunk Russian warship

Ezechukwu Malachy by Ezechukwu Malachy
April 15, 2022
in World
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Russia’s flagship warship, a Black Sea missile cruiser, the Moskva, has sunk in rough seas while being towed after suffering a fire onboard, according to Russian media.

The defence ministry said ammunition on the Moskva exploded in an unexplained fire on Wednesday.

Ukraine claims it struck the 86-metre (610 foot) vessel with its Neptune missiles.

The 510-crew warship has led Russia’s naval assault on Ukraine, making it an important symbolic and military target.

Earlier in the conflict the Moskva gained notoriety after calling on Ukrainian border troops defending Snake Island in the Black Sea to surrender – to which they memorably radioed a message of refusal which loosely translates as “go to hell”.

Originally built in Ukraine in the Soviet-era, the sunk Russian warship entered service in the early 1980s according to Russian media.

The missile cruiser was previously deployed by Moscow in the Syria conflict where it supplied Russian forces in the country with naval protection.

The cruise missile system that Ukraine says was deployed was designed by Ukrainian military engineers in response to the growing naval threat posed by Russia in the Black Sea, following its annexation of Crimea in 2014.

As our Russia editor, Steve Rosenberg, writes: Whatever the cause of the Moskva’s destruction, the damage is bad news for Moscow.

It is the flagship of Russia’s Black Sea fleet, and, as such, a symbol of Russia’s military power.

Casualty from the sunk Russian warship was not immediately available.

Previous Post

Kola Abiola rejoins politics, gives reason

Next Post

APC Crisis: Thugs stone Judge out of Bayelsa court

Next Post

APC Crisis: Thugs stone Judge out of Bayelsa court

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Osun election: Adeleke presents Certificate of Return to Tinubu
Politics

Osun election: Adeleke presents Certificate of Return to Tinubu

by Mohammed Koi
August 20, 2026
0

The Governor of Osun State, Ademola Adeleke, on Thursday, presented his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission...

Read moreDetails
Tinubu’s govt has failed Nigerians — Atiku

2027 my final attempt at presidency – Atiku

August 20, 2026
Tinubu’s govt has failed Nigerians — Atiku

I’ll restore subsidy if elected in 2027 – Atiku

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
Tribute to a brother, friend, patriot, Muhammadu Buhari – IBB

Atiku cannot rule Nigeria — IBB

August 20, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng