• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Monday, February 16, 2026
  • Login
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Security

Army General arrested over disappearance of 43 students

Euclid Myke by Euclid Myke
September 17, 2022
in Security
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

An army general has been detained in Mexico in connection with the disappearance of 43 students in 2014, the government said Thursday, the latest arrest in a case that generated international condemnation.

The general, who commanded a battalion in the area of southern Mexico where the incident occurred, is one of three suspects detained, Deputy Security Minister Ricardo Mejia told reporters.

He did not identify the suspects but said the other two were also military personnel.

Prosecutors announced last month that arrest warrants had been issued for more than 80 suspects in the case, including 20 military personnel, 44 police officers and 14 cartel members.

The same day, former Attorney General Jesus Murillo Karam, who led a controversial investigation into the mass disappearance, was detained on charges of forced disappearance, torture and obstruction of justice.

The case is one of the worst human rights tragedies in Mexico, where a spiral of drug-related violence has left more than 100,000 people missing.

Before they went missing, the teaching students had commandeered buses in the southern state of Guerrero to travel to a demonstration in Mexico City.

Investigators said the students were detained by corrupt police and handed over to a drug cartel that mistook them for members of a rival gang, but exactly what happened to them is disputed.

According to an official report presented in 2015 by the government of then-President Enrique Pena Nieto, cartel members killed the students and incinerated their remains at a garbage dump.

Relatives, independent experts and the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights rejected those conclusions.

A truth commission tasked by the government last month to investigate the atrocity branded the case a “state crime” involving agents of various institutions. It said that military personnel bore “clear responsibility,” either directly or through negligence.

So far, the remains of only three victims have been identified. (AFP)

Previous Post

ASUU Strike: Angry students threaten to shut down Presidential Villa, entire country

Next Post

Journalist offers kidney to Ekweremadu’s daughter

Next Post

Journalist offers kidney to Ekweremadu’s daughter

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Troops of Operation Hadin Kai intercepts N37m, disrupts terrorists logistics supply routes
Security

Troops of Operation Hadin Kai intercepts N37m, disrupts terrorists logistics supply routes

by Deji Akintola
February 16, 2026
0

Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have sustained their operational momentum in the North-East, intensifying logistics strangulation operations and recovering N37...

Read moreDetails
el-Rufai writes Ribadu over alleged ‘importation of (Thallium Sulphate) poison’

Wire Tapping: FG drags el-Rufai to court, slams 3-court charge

February 16, 2026
Lakurawa expands ties with Boko Haram

US freezes assets of eight Nigerians with ties to Boko Haram, ISIL

February 16, 2026
I’ll contest 2027 presidential election – Obi

I’ll contest 2027 presidential election – Obi

February 16, 2026
Presidency accuses el-Rufai of plotting unrest, political tension

Presidency accuses el-Rufai of plotting unrest, political tension

February 16, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng