Thursday, August 20, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Crime

Alleged Blasphemy: Amnesty International condemns stonning, burning of man in Lugbe Abuja by Islamic Fundamentalists

Hassan Tanko by Hassan Tanko
June 4, 2022
in Crime, Security
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The global human rights body, Amnesty International, on Saturday condemned the “horrific lynching” of a man at the Federal Housing Authority (FHA), Lugbe, along the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Road, Abuja, over alleged blasphemy.

The human rights body also asked the Nigerian authorities to “curtail the impunity that has led to an increase in mob violence across Nigeria.”

Sources confirmed that members of the Vigilance group guarding the popular Timber Shed market at FHA Lugbe Abuja had wanted to arrest some artisans wandering around the market on Saturday morning.

They were allegedly said to have begged the Vigilantes to free them in the name of Allah but one of the Vigilantes kicked the artisan and allegedly made comments which his assailants considered to be blasphemous.

Angry at the alleged blasphemy, the rest of the people later picked stones and planks and lynched the vigilante personnel before setting him ablaze.

According to the statement, “Amnesty International condemns the horrific lynching of a vigilante over alleged blasphemy today at Lugbe — a suburb of Abuja. Nigerian authorities must ensure those responsible for this crime are immediately arrested and prosecuted.

“The Nigerian authorities must curtail the impunity that has led to an increase in mob violence across Nigeria. 

“Persons involved in such reprehensible acts should face the law in fair trials. A prompt, thorough, independent, impartial & effective investigation must be conducted.”

The extra-judicial killing in Abuja followed several others, including the unreported, which occurred in mainly the northern part of the country after the gruesome murder of Deborah Samuel, a student of Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto.

Since then, government, as usual, did little or nothing to discourage people from embarking on such extra-judicial murder of fellow citizens, which is becoming rampant in Nigeria. 

Previous Post

Arms suppliers to terror gangs in SE nabbed by Police FIB-IRT in Nasarawa, Jos

Next Post

2023: Emefiele has polluted CBN, says INEC Chairman

Next Post

2023: Emefiele has polluted CBN, says INEC Chairman

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Peter Obi, CON at 65: Extolling a visionary’s enduring influence
Cover

2027: Obi unfolds agenda as campaigns begin

by Deji Akintola
August 19, 2026
0

Peter Obi Media Office has outlined its principal’s core agenda as campaigns for the January 16, 2027 presidential election officially...

Read moreDetails
2027: INEC targets 100m registered voters

2027: INEC targets 100m registered voters

August 19, 2026
INEC Chairman Amupitan not corrupt, insider faults Dalung’s claims

2027: INEC to deploys 1.4m staff in 176,000 polling units

August 19, 2026
Nigeria spends $10bn on food imports annually, says minister

Rising food prices signals failure of ideas, ADC taunts Tinubu

August 19, 2026
Electricity customers owe DisCos N497bn in 2024

NISO, NBET strengthen collaboration to improve Nigeria’s electricity market

August 19, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng