Friday, August 21, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home News

June 12: Sowore collapses, as Police teargas Abuja protesters

Ada Okafor by Ada Okafor
June 12, 2026
in News
0
June 12: Sowore collapses, as Police teargas Abuja protesters
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A peaceful protest in Abuja calling for urgent government action on insecurity, the release of abducted schoolchildren, and improved governance was disrupted on Friday after security operatives fired teargas at demonstrators approaching Eagle Square.

The procession, which began earlier in the day at Berger roundabout, was heading towards the Federal Secretariat where organisers planned to submit their demands to the Federal Government when it was intercepted near Eagle Square by armed policemen.

Eyewitness accounts indicate that teargas canisters were fired into the advancing crowd as the protesters approached the area, causing panic and forcing participants to scatter temporarily.

Human rights activist and protest leader, Omoyele Sowore, was among those affected by the chemical irritants, with reports stating that he fell down.

He was said to have inhaled the fumes and experienced breathing difficulties before being assisted away from the scene by fellow protesters.

A second round of teargas was reportedly fired while he was still receiving attention, further heightening tension and confusion in the area.

Despite the disruption, the demonstrators later regrouped and continued with their protest, insisting they would not be deterred by the actions of security operatives.

The protesters maintained that their demands remain focused on ending insecurity across the country, securing the release of abducted schoolchildren, and improving governance standards.

Speaking after the incident, Sowore said Nigerians must be freed from what he described as oppressive conditions, insisting that citizens have a right to peaceful protest and accountability from those in power.

Previous Post

Let’s repeat 1993 credible election in 2027 — Peter Obi requests on June 12

Next Post

Former Director Defence Information Maj- Gen. Rabe (rtd) dies in bandits enclave

Next Post

Former Director Defence Information Maj- Gen. Rabe (rtd) dies in bandits enclave

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Pension: Senate confirms Oloworaran as substantive PenCom DG
Business

Pension: Senate confirms Oloworaran as substantive PenCom DG

by Newsdesk Africa
August 21, 2026
0

By Sam Otuonye The Senate on Thursday, at plenary, confirmed the nomination of Omolola Oloworaran for appointment as the substantive...

Read moreDetails
Osun election: Adeleke presents Certificate of Return to Tinubu

Osun election: Adeleke presents Certificate of Return to Tinubu

August 20, 2026
Tinubu’s govt has failed Nigerians — Atiku

2027 my final attempt at presidency – Atiku

August 20, 2026
Tinubu’s govt has failed Nigerians — Atiku

I’ll restore subsidy if elected in 2027 – Atiku

August 20, 2026
214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

214 UNICAL students file N5bn suit challenging removal from Law faculty

August 20, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng