Saturday, May 23, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Morocco’s captain rejects AFCON 2025 title, insists Senegal won

Newsdesk Africa by Newsdesk Africa
March 21, 2026
in Sports
0
Morocco’s captain rejects AFCON 2025 title, insists Senegal won
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

 Morocco captain Achraf Hakimi has publicly rejected the Africa Cup of Nations title awarded to his country, declaring he does not recognise the victory following CAF’s controversial ruling.

In a strongly-worded statement, the Paris Saint-Germain defender said he would refuse the winner’s medal on principle, insisting Senegal were the rightful champions after their victory on the pitch.

“My mother told me to refuse the Africa Cup of Nations trophy. I am officially refusing it, and I hope my teammates do the same. We had our chance to win it, but we couldn’t,” Hakimi said.

His comments come after the Confederation of African Football (CAF) overturned the result of the 2026 AFCON final, awarding Morocco a 3-0 victory by default after ruling that Senegal had forfeited the match.

The decision followed chaotic scenes late in the final in Rabat, when Senegal players briefly walked off the pitch in protest over a controversial penalty awarded to Morocco in stoppage time.

Despite returning to continue the match and ultimately winning 1-0 in extra time through Pape Gueye, CAF’s Appeals Committee later ruled that the temporary walk-off constituted a breach of competition regulations.

Hakimi, however, has distanced himself from the administrative decision, choosing instead to recognise the sporting outcome on the field.

“This is football – sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Senegal beat us fairly and deserved the victory. It would be unfair to destroy their joy after all the hard work they put in,” he added.

The Moroccan captain acknowledged CAF’s authority but made clear his personal stance.

“I respect the decision of the Confederation of African Football, but I am officially refusing the trophy. I did not win the Africa Cup of Nations. Congratulations once again to Senegal.”

*Controversial final under scrutiny

The final itself had already been overshadowed by controversy before the ruling.

After a goalless 90 minutes, Senegal took the lead early in extra time, appearing to secure the title. 

However, the match’s turning point came deep into stoppage time when Morocco were awarded a penalty following a VAR review.

The decision sparked protests from Senegal players, who briefly left the pitch, halting the match for several minutes before returning to resume play. Morocco’s Brahim Díaz then missed the penalty, and Senegal held on to claim victory.

In the aftermath, the Royal Moroccan Football Federation lodged an appeal, arguing that Senegal’s actions violated competition rules.

CAF’s Appeals Committee upheld the complaint, citing regulations that state a team can be deemed to have forfeited a match if it leaves the field without authorisation.

As a result, Senegal’s on-field victory was annulled, and Morocco were declared champions — a decision that has triggered widespread debate across African football.

*Growing reaction across Africa

Hakimi’s refusal marks one of the strongest responses from within the Moroccan camp itself, adding a new dimension to an already divisive decision.

While Morocco’s football authorities accepted the ruling, the captain’s stance highlights a growing split between administrative outcomes and sporting integrity.

With Senegal expected to challenge the decision further, the controversy surrounding the 2026 AFCON final shows no sign of fading — and Hakimi’s rejection of the trophy may yet become one of its defining moments. (Africa Soccer)

Previous Post

APGA Chieftain greets Muslims at Eid El Fitr

Next Post

Anambra safest state – Soludo

Next Post
INEC declares Soludo winner of Anambra governorship election

Anambra safest state - Soludo

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
INEC Chairman Amupitan not corrupt, insider faults Dalung’s claims
Cover

Court annuls INEC membership register deadline

by Eze Chidozie
May 21, 2026
0

The Federal High Court Thursday nullified the guidelines issued by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) directing political parties to...

Read moreDetails
UBA champions Diaspora healthcare investment at ANPA America symposium

UBA champions Diaspora healthcare investment at ANPA America symposium

May 21, 2026
Keeping pace with CBN’s back-to-back feats

CBN retains lending rate at 26.6% – Cardoso

May 21, 2026
Atiku at ADC screening panel, promises robust security reforms

Atiku at ADC screening panel, promises robust security reforms

May 21, 2026
Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primaries, cites peace, unity 

Fubara withdraws from Rivers APC governorship primaries, cites peace, unity 

May 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng