Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Education

FG imposes six-year ban on new private varsities

Bature Magaji by Bature Magaji
March 5, 2026
in Education
0
Vice-Chancellor proceeds on leave amid sexual harassment scandal
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday placed a six-year moratorium on the establishment of new tertiary institutions.

It also accorded recognition to medical fellowships as equivalent to doctoral degrees and restored the National Commission for Mass Literacy, Adult and Non-Formal Education as an independent body.

These form part of reforms in the education sector approved by the Council.

Briefing newsmen at the end of the FEC meeting, the Minister of Education, Dr Tunji Alausa, said the moratorium on the establishment of new universities, polytechnics and colleges of education was aimed at improving the quality and sustainability of existing tertiary institutions, particularly private universities.

While admitting that the demand for higher education remains high, he said most institutions are struggling with sustainability challenges.

While admitting that the demand for higher education remains high, he said most institutions are struggling with sustainability challenges.

“Today, access is not easy in the country. We have lots of tertiary institutions, both public and private, but we need to help these private institutions become financially sustainable.”

Giving statistics to support his position, the minister cited data from the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), which showed that more than 2.3 million candidates applied for admission into universities last year, while public institutions had fewer than 228,000 available spaces.

Previous Post

Army Major, 19 others reported killed, over 100 abducted as ISWAP launches devastating attacks in Borno

Next Post

Non-disclosure of Assets: Court acquits Abba Kyari, his brother

Next Post
Abba Kyari, others fail to stop trial over alleged undisclosed assets

Non-disclosure of Assets: Court acquits Abba Kyari, his brother

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Nigerians must take stance, determine where country is headed democratically – Obi
Cover

2027: Obi unveils prpduction-focused economic, security agenda

by Maurice Okosisi
August 22, 2026
0

*Urges Nigerians to reject ethnic, religious politics The presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Obi, has unveiled...

Read moreDetails
Obi writes to Nigerian youths as European League kicks off

Obi writes to Nigerian youths as European League kicks off

August 22, 2026
Power: FG seeks collaboration with EU

Geregu Power: Yari moves to settle outstanding bond obligation

August 22, 2026
2027: INEC targets 100m registered voters

2027: INEC seeks Canada’s support on electoral technology, AI, inclusivity

August 22, 2026
Obi’s litigious reflexes vs Adeyanju’s burden of truth

Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu

August 22, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng