Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Infrastructure

Umahi instructs Enugu–Onitsha expressway contractor to use concrete instead of asphalt on remaining sections

Newsdesk Africa by Newsdesk Africa
March 3, 2026
in Infrastructure
0
Umahi instructs Enugu–Onitsha expressway contractor to use concrete instead of asphalt on remaining sections
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Minister of Works, Engr. David Umahi, has directed RCC Construction Company, one of the firms handling the completion of the construction of the Enugu–Onitsha Expressway in Anambra and Enugu States under the “Road Infrastructure Development and Refurbishment Investment Tax Credit Scheme,” to henceforth use concrete to complete the remaining 23km of the road.

Umahi gave the directive at the Amansea axis of the road during an inspection tour, where he expressed satisfaction with the quality of work done so far by the two contractors, but maintained that, going forward, all federal roads in the country must be constructed with concrete instead of asphalt, arguing that since it takes N94,000 to asphalt a square metre of road that may not last up to 15 months, while it takes N92,000 to construct a square metre of concrete road that can last up to 100 years, there is no justification for wasting money on asphalt.

The Minister instructed the contractor to do the inner and outer parts of the remaining 23km with laterite and bring them to the level of the existing asphalt, as well as dig the flooded sections up to two feet, refill them with lumps of about 30cm, sharp sand and stone base to ensure the durability of the road.

He added that the contractor should use pulverisation to pulverise the existing wearing course and binder course, apply 10cm of stone base mixed with 3.5cm of cement, compact it properly and use a paver to lay the final 10cm across the pavement and carriageway.

The Federal Comptroller of Works in Anambra State, Engr. Emeka Oparah, said that the road, which has been completed up to the second binder stage, will provide a lasting solution to its previously bad condition, adding that the remaining eight hundred metres of the road from the Amansea axis to the Immigration Junction will be completed by the end of May 2026.

The Project Manager of MTN Nigeria, Engr. Tochukwu Onuora, said they are impressed with the pace and quality of work done so far, appreciating the Minister for allocating 104km of single carriageway out of the 107km dual carriageway, and added that the project was estimated at N202bn, while the Project Manager for RCC, Engineer Sachin Thakare, noted that by raising the road above the existing asphalt, they are confident of its durability. (Ngozi Obileri, absradiotelevision)

Previous Post

INEC pledges credible, technology-driven 2027 general elections

Next Post

PANDEF mourns former Delta Deputy Governor Benjamin Elue at 85

Next Post
PANDEF mourns former Delta Deputy Governor Benjamin Elue at 85

PANDEF mourns former Delta Deputy Governor Benjamin Elue at 85

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Nigerians must take stance, determine where country is headed democratically – Obi
Cover

2027: Obi unveils prpduction-focused economic, security agenda

by Maurice Okosisi
August 22, 2026
0

*Urges Nigerians to reject ethnic, religious politics The presidential candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Obi, has unveiled...

Read moreDetails
Obi writes to Nigerian youths as European League kicks off

Obi writes to Nigerian youths as European League kicks off

August 22, 2026
Power: FG seeks collaboration with EU

Geregu Power: Yari moves to settle outstanding bond obligation

August 22, 2026
2027: INEC targets 100m registered voters

2027: INEC seeks Canada’s support on electoral technology, AI, inclusivity

August 22, 2026
Obi’s litigious reflexes vs Adeyanju’s burden of truth

Why Atiku’s subsidy gambit rattles Tinubu

August 22, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng