Sunday, August 23, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Education

ASUU suspends two-weeks warning strike, offers FG one month to conclude negotiations

Eze Chidozie by Eze Chidozie
October 23, 2025
in Education
0
ASUU elects new President
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Nigeria Labour Congress has given the Federal Government four weeks to conclude negotiations with all tertiary institutions-based unions.

NLC President, Joe Ajaero stated this in Abuja on Tuesday.

The Labour condemned the no-work-no-pay policy the FG has introduced against members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities currently on a two-week warning strike nationwide. strike.

Ajaero said “we have decided to give the Federal Government four weeks to conclude all negotiations in this sector. They have started talks with ASUU but the problem in this sector goes beyond ASUU.

“That is why we are extending this to four weeks. If after four weeks this negotiation is not concluded, the organs of the NEC will meet and take a nationwide action that all workers in the country, all unions in the country will be involved so that we get to the root of all this.

“The era of signing agreements, negotiations and threatening the unions involved, that era has come to an end.

“The policy, the so-called policy of no work, no pay, will henceforth be no pay, no work. You can’t benefit from an action you instigated. We have discovered that most, 90% of strike actions in this country are caused by failure to obey agreements.”

The NLC expressed its full support for the ASUU and other tertiary education unions, calling for robust participation from all union leaders.

The emergency meeting would decide the next steps for industrial action and explore means to safeguard the welfare of university staff, as well as the quality and continuity of public tertiary education in Nigeria.

It would be recalled that ASUU members on Sunday began the two-week warning strike on Monday last week, after the expiry of a 14-day ultimatum it gave the FG on September 28.

The union listed unresolved to include staff welfare, infrastructure, salary arrears, and the implementation of the 2009 ASUU-FGN agreement.

Negotiations had since then been going without end. Minister of Education, Tunji Alausa, said two weeks ago that talks had reached a final phase, adding that the government had released N50 billion for earned academic allowances and allocated N150bn in the 2025 budget for a needs assessment to be disbursed in three instalments.

However, ASUU turned down the offer, saying the amount was not enough.

The ASUU is demanding full implementation of the 2009 agreement, release of three-and-a-half months of withheld salaries, sustainable funding for universities, protection against victimisation, payment of outstanding promotion and salary arrears, and release of withheld deductions for cooperatives and union contributions.

Previous Post

Reps to probe Abuja $460m CCTV installation contract

Next Post

Electoral Act Reforms: Senate seeks burden of proof from INEC

Next Post
Three names emerge on next INEC chairman

Electoral Act Reforms: Senate seeks burden of proof from INEC

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Amuka, Osoba, Ugochukwu, Obaigbena, Momoh, 400 other editors converge on Enugu
News

Onaiyekan, Mbah, Osigwe to speak at NGE 2026 conference in Enugu Sept 24, 25

by Ada Okafor
August 23, 2026
0

*Yadudu, Okunna, Dr. Okoye too   *Obi of Onitsha to chair event The 2026 All Nigeria Editors Conference (ANEC) scheduled for...

Read moreDetails
Beyond the Crown: The vision shaping Asaba’s future

Beyond the Crown: The vision shaping Asaba’s future

August 23, 2026
Turkey: Osimhen becomes third-highest scoring foreign player in Galatasaray’s history

Turkey: Osimhen becomes third-highest scoring foreign player in Galatasaray’s history

August 23, 2026
Your addiction to loans mortgaging Nigeria’s future, Atiku tells Tinubu

Tinubu’s case: Don’t cover the truth from Nigerians, Atiku tells FBI

August 23, 2026
Troops dismantle IPOB, ESN bases, recover weapons, IED-making materials in Anambra

Troops dismantle IPOB, ESN bases, recover weapons, IED-making materials in Anambra

August 23, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng