Saturday, August 22, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Man eaten alive by bed bugs

Our Reporters by Our Reporters
April 15, 2023
in News, World
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The heartbroken family of a Georgia inmate on Friday called for a criminal investigation into his death behind bars last fall, alleging that he was “eaten alive” by bugs in his filthy cell.

LaShawn Thompson, 35, was found unresponsive in his cell in the psychiatric wing at Fulton County Jail on Sept. 13.

NYC Board of Correction report details DOC failures in seven inmate deathsRikers inmate sentenced to 10 years for stabbing NYC correction officer in the back of the headInmate accused of trying to hire hitman to kill her family for $2M inheritanceFamily of Rand Paul aide stabbed in DC reveals extent of his injuries

Michael D. Harper, an attorney for Thompson’s family, wrote in a statement shared with The Post Friday that Thompson had been in custody since he was arrested for misdemeanor simple battery in June. 

“Three months later Mr. Thompson was found dead in a filthy jail cell after being eaten alive by insects and bed bugs,” Harper said.

“When his body was found one of the detention officers refused to administer CPR because in her words she ‘freaked out.’ The jail cell Mr. Thompson was housed in was not fit for a diseased animal. He did not deserve this.”

Disturbing photographs attached to Harper’s statement show Thompson’s cell, which is covered in dirt and strewn with debris.

One image also shows Thompson’s bony body with defibrillator pads on his chest, which is covered in what appear to be small insect bites.

LaShawn Thompson died on Sept. 13, 2022.Harper Law Firm

Harper also sent The Post a copy of the Fulton County medical examiner’s report, which lists Thompson’s cause of death as undetermined but notes a “severe bed bug infestation” in his cell.

Harper told USA Today this week that Thompson’s relatives are “asking for a criminal investigation into the matter and (major) changes at the jail.”

Members of Thompson’s family gathered outside the Fulton County courthouse on Thursday to demand justice.

Photos from Thompson’s cell show the disgustingly dirty conditions.Harper Law FirmThompson’s family is demanding justice for their loved one.Harper Law Firm

“It was heartbreaking because nobody should be seen like that. Nobody should see that,” Thompson’s brother, Brandon McCrae, told WSBTV of the photos of his late brother’s living conditions.

In a written statement to Channel 2 Action News, the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office said it launched a “full investigation” into Thompson’s death.

In the wake of the incident, the department immediately dedicated an additional $500,000 to address “bed bugs, lice and other vermin” at the jail, and updated sanitary protocols, the force said.

Thompson’s body ravaged by what appear to be small bug bites.Harper Law Firm

“The ongoing investigation is examining details regarding the medical care provided and ultimately will determine whether any criminal charges are warranted in this case,” the statement said. (New York Post.)

Previous Post

INEC to prosecute 200 persons for electoral offences

Next Post

FG spent N13trn on subsidies in 16 years – NEITI

Next Post

FG spent N13trn on subsidies in 16 years - NEITI

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
SGF condemns Benue killings, calls for collective action against insecurity
Cover

Tinubu orders Nwabueze’s arrest, suspension of 3 Perm Secs as another fake agency is detected in SGF office

by Eze Chidozie
August 21, 2026
0

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of Prince George Buchi Nwabueze in connection with the discovery of National...

Read moreDetails
US, Israel-Iran War: Tehran’s Archbishop evacuated to Rome

On the Relics of St Agatha

August 21, 2026
Chevron reiterates commitment to Yoyo-Yolanda Project as Equatorial Guinea, Cameroon sign agreement

CNL highlights regulatory imperatives at PENGASSAN Summit 

August 21, 2026
FCT doctors embark on three-day warning strike

Nigeria records 45,000 new HIV infections in 2025 — NACA

August 21, 2026
Anyaoku warns against delayed new constitution to manage Nigeria’s diversity

UK warns citizens against travel to 11 Nigerian states

August 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng