Thursday, August 20, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
  • Mails
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Crime

Edo train kidnap: Commissioner confirms 31 missing, one suspect arrested

Hassan Tanko by Hassan Tanko
January 9, 2023
in Crime
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Edo Commissioner of Communication and Orientation, Chris Nehikhare on Sunday confirmed that 31 intending passengers were kidnapped at Igueben train station in Edo on Saturday.

The News Agency of Nigeria NAN reports that the passengers were said to be waiting for a 4 p.m. train from Igueben to Warri when the kidnappers struck, shooting sporadically, abducting passengers and leaving many injured.

Nehikhare told newsmen in Benin that one abducted passenger escaped from the kidnappers, while the police had arrested one of the suspects.

He said, “The kidnap is the most difficult occurrence in the state currently. Few armed men who came with vehicles at about 4 p.m. started shooting sporadically at the Igueben train station.

“Kidnapping 32 while many others were injured. They came with cars but took their victims into the bush on foot.

“The police in collaboration with the vigilante and hunters started combing the bush almost immediately.

“One suspect has been arrested and he is helping the police in their investigation.

“The Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu, visited the scene of the crime this morning to have an on the spot assessment of what has happened.

“We are pleased to say that one suspect has been arrested. We congratulate the police and the Edo security network for the swiftness which they attended to the security breech,” Nehikhare said.

According to him, “we sympathise with the families of the victims and hope that this is the last we will have such daring people invading government infrastructure”.

Nehikhare also disclosed that the state government was up-to-date with the payment of pension to retired workers and was currently expending one-third of its personnel cost on pension payments.

“We make available N100 million monthly to pay gratuity to those retirees with serious medical challenges. We paid over N1 billion last year and we have also budgeted another N1 billion for 2023.

“We are constrained to believe that the protests in the past over pension were politically instigated,” he said. (NAN)

Previous Post

Metropolitan Police arrest DAAR Communications Chairman Eneritus, Raymond Dokpesi, in London  

Next Post

Police launch investigation as hoodlums burn station in Umuchu, Anambra State

Next Post

Police launch investigation as hoodlums burn station in Umuchu, Anambra State

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
ICPC grills Adeyemi in police custody, concludes investigation
News

Tinubu orders forensic probe into fake Presidential Foreign Intervention Council

by Aminu Danladi
August 20, 2026
0

President Bola Tinubu on Wednesday directed the commissioning of a comprehensive forensic investigation into the fictitious Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council...

Read moreDetails
Why I signed the national peace accord – Peter Obi

Why I signed the national peace accord – Peter Obi

August 20, 2026
83 Nigerian returnees arrive in Lagos from South Africa

83 Nigerian returnees arrive in Lagos from South Africa

August 20, 2026
Tinubu appoints Enitan as head of Civil Service of the Federation

Tinubu appoints Enitan as head of Civil Service of the Federation

August 20, 2026
Tinubu dissolves committee on sale of federal assets

Tinubu orders 5-year nat. security threat assessment, defence plan

August 20, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng