• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Thursday, February 19, 2026
  • Login
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Cover

Trump says many lilled in ‘tactically brilliant’ Venezuela operation but ‘mostly Cubans’

Newsdesk Africa by Newsdesk Africa
January 7, 2026
in Cover
0
Jousting: Elon Musk calls for Trump’s impeachment amid escalating fallout, claiming he is in Epstein files
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

US President, Donald Trump, has revealed new details of the operation to capture Nicolas Maduro, which saw “many” killed, as supporters of the deposed Venezuelan President took to the streets in protest.

Describing the military operation as “brilliant tactically” and “complex”, the US president said “a lot of people were killed” but they were “mostly Cubans.”

He clarified that no US military personal were among the dead and the fatalities were “on the other side”.

Venezuela’s military said on Saturday that at least 24 Venezuelan security officers were killed in the US operation. 

Cuba’s government had said on Sunday that 32 Cuban military and police officers working in Venezuela had died in the operation.

Associated Press reported that its analysis had found that more civilians were killed in the strikes, but it was not immediately clear how many.

“We had a lot of boots on the ground, but it was amazing. And think of it, nobody was killed,” Mr. Trump said in an address to the Kennedy Centre on Tuesday.

“And on the other side, a lot of people were killed. Unfortunately, I say that, soldiers, Cubans, mostly Cubans, but many, many killed.”

Mr Trump said soldiers on the ground in Venezuela were “protected and our guys weren’t”, adding that electricity to “almost the entire country” was cut off during the operation that involved 152 aircraft.

He also criticised US Democrats for failing to congratulate him on the seizure of Maduro, who he described as a “bad guy”.

“He gets up there and he tries to imitate my dance a little bit… But he’s a violent guy, and he’s killed millions of people,” he said.

His remarks come as footage emerged of Venezuela’s interior minister Diosdado Cabello and a group of armed men shouting their support for Maduro.

“Loyal forever, traitors never, doubting is treason,” they chanted.

‘Loyal forever, traitors never’, Maduro supporters chant.

Venezuela’s attorney-general Tarek ​Saab said “dozens” of officials and civilians were killed, without specifying if he was talking about Venezuelans, and a team of three prosecutors would investigate the deaths.

Mr Saab also criticised the US’s seizure of Maduro to put him on trial for drugs and weapons charges in New York, arguing that America had no jurisdiction.Maduro was defiant at his arraignment hearing on Monday.Maduro was defiant at his arraignment hearing on Monday.

US House Speaker, Mike Johnson, said he did not expect the US to deploy troops on the ground in Venezuela.

The American military action was “not a regime change” operation, he told reporters.

His comments came after US secretary of state Marco Rubio and other top officials briefed leaders in the US Congress on the operation in Venezuela on Monday.Maduro told the court he had been ‘kidnapped’. Pic: Reuters.The briefing was met with criticism from Democrats, with Senator Chuck Schumer saying the session “posed far more questions than it answered”.Meanwhile, the US is believed to be planning to intercept a sanctioned tanker that has been used to carry Venezuelan crude oil, CBS News reported.The US would prefer to capture the ship rather than sink it, sources told the American broadcaster, in a move reminiscent of the military’s seizure of another crude oil tanker in December.US forces have been pursuing the tanker – called the Marinera after its name was changed from Bella 1 – as part of its campaign of sanctions and military operations against Venezuelan tankers in the Caribbean.Ships like the Marinera are part of a so-called shadow fleet of ships that illegally transport oil between sanctioned nations like Russia, Iran and Venezuela. (@Sky News)

Previous Post

AFCON 2025: Algeria pip DR Congo, to face Super Eagles in quarter-finals

Next Post

IG deploys DIG, 17 commissioners of police

Next Post
Police rebukes CJTF, says no Boko Haram terrorist arrested in Lagos

IG deploys DIG, 17 commissioners of police

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Imo 2027 Guber: Akagburuonye commissions campaign office in Owerri
Politics

Imo 2027 Guber: Akagburuonye commissions campaign office in Owerri

by Newsdesk Africa
February 19, 2026
0

BY SAM OTUONYE Ahead of the Imo State 2027 governorship polls, renowned business mogul, philanthropist, and politician, Barrister Obioma Success...

Read moreDetails
Troops neutralise Boko Haram Commander, arrest suspected drone supplier in Adamawa

Troops neutralise Boko Haram Commander, arrest suspected drone supplier in Adamawa

February 19, 2026
Court stops Rivers Assembly, CJ from continuing with impeachment process

Rivers Assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara, Deputy

February 19, 2026
Alleged $6bn Mambilla Power Fraud:  Agunloye admitted knowing contracting company owner before ministerial appointment – Witness

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Power Fraud:  Agunloye admitted knowing contracting company owner before ministerial appointment – Witness

February 19, 2026
Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2025 into law

Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2025 into law

February 19, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng