• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Thursday, February 19, 2026
  • Login
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Crime

Borgu Massacre: Bandits slaughter 42, abduct several in Niger State

Hassan Tanko by Hassan Tanko
January 7, 2026
in Crime
0
Borgu Massacre: Bandits slaughter 42, abduct several in Niger State
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

No fewer than 42 persons have been killed and an unconfirmed number abducted, including schoolchildren, following a series of coordinated bandit attacks on communities in Agwarra and Borgu Local Government Areas of Niger State.

Residents and locals informed journalists that the attacks, which have been on-going for more than a week, were carried out with little or no resistance because security personnel in the affected areas were not available.

Daiwa Dani, is near Papiri, where several primary and secondary school students were abducted and released after weeks of negotiations.

According to them, “they tied the hands of 37 people from behind and slaughtered them in Kasuwa Daji near Papiri, while another five were killed in Kaima village.

“They also abducted many people, including children, some of whom are pupils and students of St. Mary’s Private Catholic Primary and Secondary Schools, Papiri, in Agwarra Local Government Area.”

“The government and security agencies should come to our aid. We are facing a serious crisis across the river where these students were taken from,” the sources stated.

The residents of the area further stated that a local market was set ablaze on Saturday, with shops looted and food items carted away, while more villagers including little children were taken away as hostages.

Confirming the attack on a Catholic mission, the Director of Communications, Catholic Diocese of Kontagora, Rev. Father Stephen Kabirat, said the attackers also targeted church property during the raid.

“Our parish priest narrowly escaped abduction when the attackers came to the mission house three days ago,” Kabirat said.

“They vandalised parts of the church, took away two motorcycles and cash amounting to over ₦200,000, and abducted some villagers, including children.”

Some other resident, who appealed to authorities for urgent intervention, said fear had displaced the psyche of the entire communities.

“As I speak to you, people from some of the villages where the abducted schoolchildren come from are sleeping in the bushes after returning home, out of fear of further attacks,” the villager said.

Meanwhile, the Niger State Police Command has confirmed the attacks. 

In a statement, the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Wasiu Abiodun, said the command received reports of a deadly bandit invasion on Saturday night.

“At about 9:00 pm, the police received information that suspected bandits attacked communities in Borgu LGA, killing over 30 persons and abducting an unconfirmed number of people,” the statement read.

Abiodun explained that earlier in the day, at about 4:30 pm, bandits believed to have emerged from the National Park Forest along Kabe District invaded Kasuwan Daji in Demo village, where they killed residents, burned the market, and looted shops.

He added that a joint security team had visited the affected areas and that efforts were on-going to rescue the abducted victims and restore calm.

Previous Post

NCC to prioritises Rural Broadband through Low-Frequency Spectrum, Satellites

Next Post

How Colonel Ajanaku (rtd) was kidnapped, rescued by OPEP troops in Plateau State

Next Post
How Colonel Ajanaku (rtd) was kidnapped, rescued by OPEP troops in Plateau State

How Colonel Ajanaku (rtd) was kidnapped, rescued by OPEP troops in Plateau State

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Troops neutralise Boko Haram Commander, arrest suspected drone supplier in Adamawa
Security

Troops neutralise Boko Haram Commander, arrest suspected drone supplier in Adamawa

by Bature Magaji
February 19, 2026
0

Troops of Operation HADIN KAI, in coordination with local vigilantes and hunters, have neutralised a top Boko Haram commander and...

Read moreDetails
Court stops Rivers Assembly, CJ from continuing with impeachment process

Rivers Assembly halts impeachment proceedings against Fubara, Deputy

February 19, 2026
Alleged $6bn Mambilla Power Fraud:  Agunloye admitted knowing contracting company owner before ministerial appointment – Witness

Alleged $6bn Mambilla Power Fraud:  Agunloye admitted knowing contracting company owner before ministerial appointment – Witness

February 19, 2026
Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2025 into law

Tinubu signs Electoral Act Amendment Bill 2025 into law

February 19, 2026
MTN apologizes to Abuja customers over lingering network glitches

MTN to acquire IHS Towers African operations for $6.2bn

February 19, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng