• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Login
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Cover

24,000 missing Nigerians since 2015 – Red Cross 

Bature Magaji by Bature Magaji
August 7, 2025
in Cover
0
24,000 missing Nigerians since 2015 – Red Cross 
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

*Borno accounts for 9,000, most were Children, it says

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) has claimed that over 24,000 Nigerians have been reported missing by their families since 2015, with a significant number still unaccounted for, especially in the country’s conflict-ridden North-East region.

Speaking at a media workshop held in Maiduguri on Wednesday, María Toscano, the ICRC’s Protection of Family Links Team Leader, stated that Borno State alone accounts for about 9,000 missing persons, out of the total 16,000 registered in the North-East zone.

According to Toscano, 65 per cent of those missing were children at the time they disappeared, a staggering statistic that underlines the humanitarian crisis stemming from more than a decade of violent conflict in the region.

She claimed that Bama Local Government Area in Borno state had the highest concentration, with around 5,000 recorded cases.

The ICRC data also showed that 71 per cent of the missing persons occurred between 2014 and 2015, a period marked by high insurgent activity by Boko Haram and subsequent mass displacements.

Although the challenges are immense, Toscano said the organization remains committed to its tracing mission. 

In 2024 alone, she stated, the ICRC has successfully reunited 13 individuals with their families, while 11 more have been reintegrated so far this year.

However, limited access to conflict zones and the difficulty of contacting families continue to hinder progress.

“There are still thousands of families living in anguish, not knowing the fate of their loved ones,” Toscano said.

Also speaking, Diana Japaridze, Head of the ICRC Sub-Delegation in Maiduguri, expressed grave concern over the increasing number of unresolved missing person cases, particularly among families that have endured years of displacement.

“Some people spend years searching for loved ones, often with no result,” Japaridze said. 

“In the chaos of armed conflict and disasters, families can become separated in a matter of minutes—leading to long years of uncertainty about the fate of children, spouses, or parents,” she added.

She emphasized that families have a fundamental right to know the fate of missing relatives, calling on the media to play a proactive role in raising awareness and advocating for the rights of affected families.

“The media can help society understand that this is not just a statistic, but a human tragedy that must be addressed with urgency and compassion,” she said.

The ICRC is calling for greater cooperation from the government, humanitarian partners, and the public to ensure accountability, transparency, and closure for thousands of grieving families.

Previous Post

Hacking:  Court orders deportation of 21 nationals of China, Indonesia, Brazil, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, fined ₦1m each

Next Post

Enugu native doctor, 2 others arraigned over alleged kidnappings, ritual killings

Next Post
Enugu native doctor, 2 others arraigned over alleged kidnappings, ritual killings

Enugu native doctor, 2 others arraigned over alleged kidnappings, ritual killings

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Cardinal Arinze marks 60th Episcopal Anniversary, Diamond Jubilee as a Catholic Bishop
News

Cardinal Arinze marks 60th Episcopal Anniversary, Diamond Jubilee as a Catholic Bishop

by Maurice Okosisi
August 30, 2025
0

His Eminence, Francis Cardinal Arinze has celebrated his 60th Anniversary of Episcopal and Bishopric Consecration.  He was consecrated a Bishop...

Read moreDetails
Obi’s litigious reflexes vs Adeyanju’s burden of truth

Obi’s litigious reflexes vs Adeyanju’s burden of truth

August 30, 2025
2027: Tinubu should not waste his energy running, he’ll lose – Prince Adewole

2027: Tinubu should not waste his energy running, he’ll lose – Prince Adewole

August 30, 2025
Troops intercept 242 bags of fertiliser bound for terrorists’ IEDs production in Borno

Troops intercept 242 bags of fertiliser bound for terrorists’ IEDs production in Borno

August 30, 2025
Racism Claims:  Kemi Badenoch reaping fruits of Karma! – Nigerians   

Racism Claims:  Kemi Badenoch reaping fruits of Karma! – Nigerians   

August 30, 2025
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng