• About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact
Sunday, August 31, 2025
  • Login
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Cover

Again, flood submerges 18 communities, farmlands in Niger

Adepegba Abioye by Adepegba Abioye
August 4, 2025
in Cover
0
FG warns 30 states, FCT of heavy rains, flooding
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Flood has again submerged several houses and farmlands in several communities in Niger State.

This followed an early morning rainfall Sunday which ripped through farmĺands in Kafin Koro, and Paikoro Local Government Areas of the state.

The flood also reportedly affected 18 communities in Lapai Local Government Area where some farmlands were also submerged and several other farms at risk of being swept away.

Some of the affected communities included Dere, Eshi, Apataku, Tsakanabi, Kuchi Kakanda, Arah, Achiba, Rebba, Ebwa, Pele, Edda, Rigido, Gbami, Yawa, Baka, and Muye.

The state government on Sunday re-echoed its earlier warning to the riverine communities in the state to immediately relocate to higher grounds, reminding them that rainfalls have intensified across the state.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Communication, Media and Strategy, Jonathan Vatsa, in a statement, appealed to communities in the affected areas to immediately relocate to a safer place to avoid further disaster in the state.

Vatsa said that although the government understood the people’s attachment to their ancestral homes, there is the need for them to adhere to the government warnings and relocate pending when the rainfall would be over.

According to him, “we as a government will continue to be proactive by appealing to the people, especially those in the flood-prone areas, to immediately move upland to avoid the experience of the Mokwa disaster.

“The government is aware of their attachments to their ancestral homes and lands, but with the various flood alerts, and what we are already experiencing, there is an urgent need for them to heed to the government’s warning.

“The Mokwa experience is still very much with us, and we cannot afford a repeat of such an experience.

“That is why the government is urging the people to move to a higher ground,” he said.

Basta also disclosed that the Nigerian Meteorological Agency had previously identified 15 out of the 25 local government areas in the state as very vulnerable to flooding every rainy season, an advisory, which he said, the state took seriously.

The Federal Government had instructed residents of four local government areas of the state to move to safer locations as heavy rainfall was expected to trigger flooding between July 31 and August 5, 2025.

This latest directive by the Federal Government follows a flood alert issued by the National Flood Early Warning Centre under the Federal Ministry of Environment, which revealed that communities in Rijau, Sarkin Pawa, Suleja, and Mashegu are at high risk of flooding during the forecast period.

The Federal Government’s warning was contained in a statement titled “Flood Prediction”, signed by the Director of Erosion, Flood, and Coastal Zone Management Department, Usman Bokani, where he urged relevant authorities to take proactive measures to mitigate any disaster.

While disclosing that the state government would soon embark on an enlightenment campaign to all the flood-prone communities, the adviser called on traditional rulers, community and religious leaders to join the government in sensitising the people.

Previous Post

Why the FCT Minister cannot lawfully repossess University of Abuja

Next Post

Abducted Law School Students: Neither Law School nor Police came to our rescue, we paid N10m each

Next Post
Abducted Law School Students: Neither Law School nor Police came to our rescue, we paid N10m each

Abducted Law School Students: Neither Law School nor Police came to our rescue, we paid N10m each

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Cardinal Arinze marks 60th Episcopal Anniversary, Diamond Jubilee as a Catholic Bishop
News

Cardinal Arinze marks 60th Episcopal Anniversary, Diamond Jubilee as a Catholic Bishop

by Maurice Okosisi
August 30, 2025
0

His Eminence, Francis Cardinal Arinze has celebrated his 60th Anniversary of Episcopal and Bishopric Consecration.  He was consecrated a Bishop...

Read moreDetails
Obi’s litigious reflexes vs Adeyanju’s burden of truth

Obi’s litigious reflexes vs Adeyanju’s burden of truth

August 30, 2025
2027: Tinubu should not waste his energy running, he’ll lose – Prince Adewole

2027: Tinubu should not waste his energy running, he’ll lose – Prince Adewole

August 30, 2025
Troops intercept 242 bags of fertiliser bound for terrorists’ IEDs production in Borno

Troops intercept 242 bags of fertiliser bound for terrorists’ IEDs production in Borno

August 30, 2025
Racism Claims:  Kemi Badenoch reaping fruits of Karma! – Nigerians   

Racism Claims:  Kemi Badenoch reaping fruits of Karma! – Nigerians   

August 30, 2025
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng