Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Cover

2023: Jonathan finally makes up his mind to join APC Presidential race – NAN

Our Reporters by Our Reporters
May 12, 2022
in Cover, News
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Barely 48 hours after dissociating himself from moves by some groups to draft him into the 2023 presidential race, former President Goodluck Jonathan has finally made up his mind to vie for the top post.

Nigeria is set to witness primaries parading many contestants in both the ruling APC and several opposition parties, including the main opposition PDP.

On May 9, Jonathan had reportedly rejected presidential expression of interest and nomination forms bought for him by people, described as nomadic Fulani pastoralists and Almajiri communities.

He was quoted as saying that it was an insult for people to buy the form for him without his consent but the former president has now made u-turn on the issue.

A dependable source in Jonathan’s camp, who pleaded anonymity said that the former president had indeed, joined the APC formally, having registered at his Otuoke Ward in Bayelsa.

The source disclosed that Jonathan was expected to submit his completed APC expression of interest and nomination forms bought for him earlier in the week by Fulani groups and pastoralist communities on Thursday.

According to the source, the former president has secured the support of the required number of APC delegates from across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“Several bigwigs of the party have also been calling Jonathan to pledge their loyalty and support to the former president,’’ the source revealed.

The source told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) political correspondent late on Wednesday that some influential African leaders had called Jonathan earlier on Monday to advise him “to contest the election in the interest of Nigeria.

“At least three top African leaders called the former president on the matter. They all urged him to run.

“One of them specifically told him that it didn’t make sense travelling all over Africa settling disputes only to shy away from leadership responsibility in his home country.

“Another reminded him of the implication of failing to put the experiences he garnered as a former Nigerian president and as a continental statesman to good use,” the source added but did not mention the names of the African leaders.

The source cited some of the African leaders as telling Jonathan that Nigeria was passing through challenging times and “needed a unifier like Jonathan at this time’’.

Jonathan, who lost power to incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari, was born in 1957 in the Ogbia district in Bayelsa State.

He was previously of the PDP party on whose platform he ruled Nigeria until he lost the presidential election to Buhari in 2015. (NAN) 

Previous Post

Ex. Gov Wada, says Anyim is detribilised

Next Post

NJC issues policy directions to end confusion on politically related cases

Next Post

NJC issues policy directions to end confusion on politically related cases

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
NNPC strengths national healthcare, donates MRI machine to NAUTH
Business

NNPC strengths national healthcare, donates MRI machine to NAUTH

by Newsdesk Africa
May 17, 2026
0

By Sam Otuonye NNPC Foundation, the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) arm of NNPC Ltd., has commissioned and handed over a...

Read moreDetails
2027- APC's anti-people policies, our pathway for retiring Tinubu - Adebayo

2027: Why I will defeat Tinubu — Adebayo

May 17, 2026
Ndume commends troops for foiling Boko Haram/ISWAP attack on Pulka community

Boko Haram abducts 42 students, children in Borno school attack — Ndume

May 17, 2026
SERAP seeks court order to compel CBN disclose LGA fund details

Probe alleged N800 billion FAAC diversion for campaign funding, SERAP tells INEC

May 17, 2026
Manchester City beat Chelsea F.C. to win FA Cup as Pep Guardiola lands 20th trophy

Manchester City beat Chelsea F.C. to win FA Cup as Pep Guardiola lands 20th trophy

May 17, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng