Saturday, May 23, 2026
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
Advertisement
  • Cover
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Newsdesk Africa
No Result
View All Result
Home Cover

2023: I won’t resign, Ngige dares APC

Our Reporters by Our Reporters
April 27, 2022
in Cover
0
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

By Agu Agu

Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, said on Wednesday that he would not yet resign his appointment in view of his insistence on going ahead to contest the 2023 presidential primary election of his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC).

This is despite the party stipulating that all political appointees who aspire to participate in its primary elections at all levels must resign at least 30 days before the conduct of the primaries, which begin next month. The presidential primary is slated for May 30th.
 Ngige, in a chat with State House correspondents, denied knowledge of the party’s directives, and said that his decision was in line with the 1999 Constitution, as amended.

He recalled that the March 18th judgement of the Federal High Court in Umuahia, struck out section 84(12) of the Electoral Act, being quoted by the party, hence he is not under compulsion to resign his appointment.

His words: “I don’t know about that I’m hearing for the first time from you. But like I always say, I’ll be guided by the letters and spirit of the Constitution of Federal Republic of Nigeria. 

“You are pushing me into something that is not necessary to discuss, because that aspect of the law enacted by the National Assembly, via the Electoral Act, that section 84(12) has been struck down by a court of law and the cases are on appeal. 

“And for now, no matter how bad the judgement is, that’s the maximum jurisprudence, no matter how bad the law is, it is a judgement of court, it should be obeyed, until upturned or stayed. 

“But there is no stay, there’s no upturnment of that particular pronouncement, and the party is on appeal. So the judgement is still subsisting, that aspect of the law was injurious to some persons and should not have been there. 

“I also know that the Constitution of Federal Republic of Nigeria in certain sections, section 107, 137 and 88, prescribes disqualification clauses for people who are going for election and that prescription is supreme, because it’s in the constitution  and the constitution is grand-norm of all laws.”

Pressed further that his party has asked all appointees in his cadre to resign, he said: “No, it’s not there. Is not in the  works at all. But I will make some consultation with the party, I will find out.” When reminded that the same party is aware that the judgment  of court has not been vacated, and is also asking members aspiring for office to quit office, Ngige replied: “I have not seen that pronouncement from the party. I have not seen any release from the party. It has not been conveyed to me or to anybody. I’m an aspirant, I’m a presidential aspirant. So I’ll find out and if it is true, I would then know what to do.” Asked to react to the condemnation that has trailed the N100 million fee for the form, the former Anambra State Governor said: “Well, that is the people’s view. I had said earlier that I made a budget for N50 million, and it (form) is now N100 million. So I have discussed with my supporters, and they are raising the money to augment whatever is before now. So when they finish augmentation, I believe that we’ll get up to N100 million so that we can purchase our form.”

Previous Post

CVR in Imo remains suspended in three Imo LGAs – INEC

Next Post

2023: Amaechi lobbys Uzodimma, APC South-East Delegates in Owerri

Next Post

2023: Amaechi lobbys Uzodimma, APC South-East Delegates in Owerri

https://youtu.be/FHyJ1Wr0FAk?si=0WVYI_2OR4OrIrQ4
https://youtu.be/gbE3azm_Io0?si=GdE3Mqelo1ujTNla
Nigeria Customs Strengthens Inter-Agency Fight Against Transnational Crimes
Business

Nigeria Customs Strengthens Inter-Agency Fight Against Transnational Crimes

by Newsdesk Africa
May 23, 2026
0

By Sam Otuonye The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has emphasised the importance of stronger collaboration, intelligence sharing, and inter-agency synergy...

Read moreDetails
INEC Chairman Amupitan not corrupt, insider faults Dalung’s claims

Court annuls INEC membership register deadline

May 21, 2026
UBA champions Diaspora healthcare investment at ANPA America symposium

UBA champions Diaspora healthcare investment at ANPA America symposium

May 21, 2026
Keeping pace with CBN’s back-to-back feats

CBN retains lending rate at 26.6% – Cardoso

May 21, 2026
Atiku at ADC screening panel, promises robust security reforms

Atiku at ADC screening panel, promises robust security reforms

May 21, 2026
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Privacy & Policy
  • Contact

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Homepage

Copyright© 2022-2025 Newsdesk Africa Published by Glossy Affairs Ltd. Tel: +2348152359152. Email: info@newsdeskafrica.com.ng editor@newsdeskafrica.com.ng